Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Madison in Dane County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Keyes House

1853-54

 
 
Keyes House Marker image. Click for full size.
By William J. Toman, March 13, 2011
1. Keyes House Marker
Inscription. This rambling brick Italianate and Eclectic style house probably was originally built for Lansing W. Hoyt, a local speculator. It was later occupied and altered by Elisha W. Keyes, a powerful local political "boss" who was appointed postmaster by Abraham Lincoln in 1861, and elected mayor of Madison in 1865, 1866, and again in 1886. The house was the site of many political conferences and social events.
 
Erected 1972 by the Madison Landmarks Commission. (Marker Number 11.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Wisconsin, Madison Landmarks Commission marker series.
 
Location. 43° 4.723′ N, 89° 23.206′ W. Marker is in Madison, Wisconsin, in Dane County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of East Gorham Street and North Pinckney Street, on the right when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 102 East Gorham Street, Madison WI 53703, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Period Garden Park (within shouting distance of this marker); Mansion Hill Historic District (within shouting distance of this marker); Timothy Brown House (within shouting distance
Keyes House Marker image. Click for full size.
By William J. Toman, March 13, 2011
2. Keyes House Marker
This is a view of the house from the Period Garden Park that was formerly the front yard of the Keyes House. The marker is to the left of the front door.
of this marker); Bashford House (within shouting distance of this marker); Pierce House (within shouting distance of this marker); Kendall House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Keenan House (about 300 feet away); Old Governor's Mansion (about 400 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Madison.
 
Regarding Keyes House. According to the Madison Landmarks Commission, "This brick Italianate style house was originally built for Lansing W. Hoyt, a local land speculator, and his wife Melvina in 1853. It was later occupied Elizabeth and Elisha W. Keyes, a powerful state and local political 'boss' who was appointed postmaster by Abraham Lincoln in 1861. In the 19th century postmasters wielded a great deal of political power because they controlled many jobs that they could give to political supporters. Keyes was elected Mayor of Madison in 1865 and again in 1866 and 1886. In the Progressive era, 'Fighting Bob' La Follette made Keyes the symbol, somewhat undeservedly, of the political corruption of big business.

"The original front yard of this house has been preserved as Period Garden
Keyes House image. Click for full size.
By William J. Toman, March 13, 2011
3. Keyes House
The south corner of the house.
Park. Area residents campaigned successfully to protect this open space after plans to build a large apartment house on the site were announced."
 
Also see . . .  Madison Landmarks Commission. This is the landmark nomination form for the house. (Submitted on March 13, 2011, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin.) 
 
Categories. Notable BuildingsNotable Persons
 
Keyes House image. Click for full size.
By William J. Toman, March 13, 2011
4. Keyes House
The west corner of the house.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 497 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement