Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Pittsburgh in Allegheny County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

University of Pittsburgh

 
 
University of Pittsburgh Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Wintermantel, March 13, 2011
1. University of Pittsburgh Marker
Inscription. First institution of higher education west of the Alleghenies and north of the Ohio River. Founded in 1787 as the Pittsburgh Academy, it became the Western University of Pennsylvania in 1819. Present name was adopted in 1908.
 
Erected 1979 by Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission.
 
Location. 40° 26.665′ N, 79° 57.269′ W. Marker is in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, in Allegheny County. Marker is at the intersection of Fifth Avenue and Bigelow Boulevard, on the right when traveling east on Fifth Avenue. Click for map. Located by the Cathedral of Learning on the University of Pittsburgh Campus, in the Oakland Section of Pittsburgh. Marker is in this post office area: Pittsburgh PA 15213, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. V.F.W. (within shouting distance of this marker); Stephen C. Foster Memorial (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Diplodocus carnegii (approx. 0.2 miles away); Victor Herbert (approx. 0.2 miles away); Andrew Carnegie (approx. 0.2 miles away); Fourth Ward Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Forbes Field (approx. 0.2 miles away); Barney Dreyfuss (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Pittsburgh.
 
Also see . . .
University of Pittsburgh Marker and The Cathedral of Learning image. Click for full size.
By Mike Wintermantel, March 13, 2011
2. University of Pittsburgh Marker and The Cathedral of Learning

1. University of Pittsburgh. (Submitted on March 15, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
2. University of Pittsburgh - Behind the Marker. (Submitted on June 29, 2011, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.)
 
Categories. Education
 
The University of Western Pennsylvania image. Click for full size.
By Russell Smith, artist, 1833
3. The University of Western Pennsylvania
The University of Pittsburgh traces its history to a log cabin school founded in 1787. Incorporated in 1819 as the University of Western Pennsylvania, it remained a small private college until a close alliance with wealthy industrialists led to its expansion and name change to the University of Pittsburgh in 1908. Courtesy of the Carnegie Museum of Art, received from the Carnegie Museum of Natural History in exchange for Works from the Robert S. Waters Estate
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 445 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.   3. submitted on , by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement