Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Pittsburgh in Allegheny County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Pittsburgh Plate Glass Company

 
 
Pittsburgh Plate Glass Company Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Wintermantel, March 15, 2011
1. Pittsburgh Plate Glass Company Marker
Inscription. First commercially successful U.S. plate glass maker, founded 1883 by John Ford, John Pitcairn and others. First plant was at Creighton; office was half a block east of here on Fourth Avenue. The company became PPG Industries in 1968.
 
Erected 1983 by Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission.
 
Location. 40° 26.407′ N, 80° 0.175′ W. Marker is in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, in Allegheny County. Marker can be reached from Fourth Avenue near Market Street. Click for map. Located in PPG Place in Downtown Pittsburgh, walkway called Market Street. Marker is in this post office area: Pittsburgh PA 15222, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Burke's Landmark (within shouting distance of this marker); Work Accidents and the Law (within shouting distance of this marker); Benedum-Trees Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Martin R. Delany (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Site of Bear Tavern (about 400 feet away); John Scull (about 500 feet away); The First Holy Mass at Fort Duquesne (about 500 feet away); Arrott Building (about 500 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Pittsburgh.
 
Categories. Industry & Commerce
 
Pittsburgh Plate Glass Company Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Wintermantel, March 15, 2011
2. Pittsburgh Plate Glass Company Marker
PPG Place in background
Cylinders of window glass stored ready for flattening image. Click for full size.
By Unknown, circa 1912
3. Cylinders of window glass stored ready for flattening
From Pennsylvania and Its Manifold Activities, 1912. After the Pittsburgh Plate Glass Company established its own distribution network in 1896, PPG added brushes, paint, window glass and sheet glass to its product line. In 1910, PPG also opened its first research and development facility in 1910.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 851 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.   3. submitted on , by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement