Andersonville in Sumter County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Andersonville / Father Peter Whelan
The city of Andersonville was incorporated in 1853 as the village center of a small farming community. It came to national attention when Camp Sumter Prison opened here in 1864 and especially when its commandant, Capt. Henry Wirz, was tried for alleged crimes against humanity in 1865.
Today, the community proclaims itself a “Civil War Village” and honors both the memory of Union soldiers who suffered here and Confederate soldiers who did their duty while experiencing illness and death in numbers comparable to their unfortunate prisoners.
(Continued on other side)
(Continued from other side)
Erected 1994 by Andersonville Guild.
Location. 32° 11.681′ N, 84° 8.363′ W. Marker is in Andersonville, Georgia, in Sumter County. Marker is on Church Street 0 miles east of Oglethorpe Street, on the left when traveling east. Click for map. The marker stands in front of the old Andersonville Depot. Marker is in this post office area: Andersonville GA 31711, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Wirz Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); Captain Henry Wirz (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Camp Sumter Confederate Prison Site (approx. 0.3 miles away); Star Fort (approx. half a mile away); The Commandant's Perspective (approx. half a mile away); The Prison Hospital (approx. half a mile away); Stockade Branch (approx. half a mile away); A Tight Stockade (approx. half a mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Andersonville.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 842 times since then and 105 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.