HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
            “Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
  Home  — My Markers  — Add A Marker  — Marker Series  — Links & Books  — Forum  — About Us
Madison in Dane County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Bowen House
1856-7
 
Bowen House Marker Photo, Click for full size
By William J. Toman, March 17, 2011
1. Bowen House Marker
 
Inscription. This Italianate style farmhouse was built for Seth Van Bergen from locally quarried sandstone. It is characterized by ornate wood bracketing and a central cupola. In 1859, Van Bergen sold the house to James B. Bowen, local homeopathic physician, and Bowen's son-in-law, Wayne Ramsay, cashier of the First National Bank. Bowen lived in the house until his death in 1881, when the Ramsay family occupied it.
 
Erected 1972 by the Madison Landmarks Commission. (Marker Number 17.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Wisconsin, Madison Landmarks Commission marker series.
 
Location. 43° 3.851′ N, 89° 24.257′ W. Marker is in Madison, Wisconsin, in Dane County. Marker can be reached from Chandler Street near South Mills Street, on the right when traveling east. Click for map. The marker is in the ground by the sidewalk in front of the house. Marker is at or near this postal address: 302 South Mills Street, Madison WI 53715, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Longfellow School (about 600 feet away, in a direct line); Greenbush (approx. 0.2 miles away); Edward Klief Park (approx. 0.2 miles away); Italian Workmen's Club (approx. 0.3 miles away); a different marker also named The Greenbush (approx. 0.3 miles away); Schmidt's Auto, Inc. (approx. 0.3 miles away); Bear (approx. 0.3 miles away); Spirit of Greenbush (approx. 0.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Madison.
 
Bowen House Marker Photo, Click for full size
By William J. Toman, March 17, 2011
2. Bowen House Marker
The marker is on the ground by the sidewalk, in the lower right corner of this photo.
 

 
Regarding Bowen House. According to the Madison Landmarks Commission, "This Italianate farmhouse was built on a 60-acre parcel for Seth and Harriet Van Bergen in 1855. Both Van Bergens were early pioneers. Harriet settled with her family in Jefferson County in 1838 and Seth arrived in Madison in 1842. Four years after they moved into their stone farmhouse, the Van Bergens sold the farm to Dr. James and Susan Bowen. Dr. Bowen was the first homeopathic physician in Madison, founded a leading Madison bank, and served as Madison's mayor in 1871. He died in 1881 and his daughter, Susan, and her husband, Wayne Ramsey, moved into the farmhouse. The house remained in the family until 1923. During the time the Ramseys owned the house, new housing developments sprang up all around the farm and soon they had sold off all but the immediate surrounding lot. The family donated the land for St. James Roman Catholic Church, which was named in Dr. James Bowen's honor."
 
Also see . . .  Madison Landmarks Commission. The landmark nomination form for the house. (Submitted on March 18, 2011, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin.) 
 
Bowen House Photo, Click for full size
By William J. Toman, March 17, 2011
3. Bowen House
This is the South Mills Street side of the house.
 
 
Bowen House Photo, Click for full size
By William J. Toman, March 17, 2011
4. Bowen House
This is the Chandler Street side of the house.
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on March 18, 2011, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 371 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 18, 2011, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
 
Recommend or Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr


•••
More Search Options
 
Markers
Near You

 
Categories

 
States & Provinces

 
Counties
Click to List


 
Countries

Page composed
in 188 ms.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
To search within this page, hold down the Ctrl key and press F.
On an Apple computer,
hold down the Apple key and press F.