Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Heidelberg in Allegheny County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Old Saint Luke's Church

 
 
Old St. Luke's Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Wintermantel, March 18, 2011
1. Old St. Luke's Church Marker
Inscription. Oldest Episcopal Church in southwestern Pennsylvania, founded after the French and Indian War by veteran Major William Lea on his land grant. Francis Reno was the first vicar. Church members included General John Neville, the unpopular tax collector in 1794 Whiskey Rebellion that disrupted the area and unsettled the congregation. Renewed interest in1852 led to this stone church, with its 1823 English Pipe organ, the first brought over the Alleghenies.
 
Erected 2001 by Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission.
 
Location. 40° 23.07′ N, 80° 5.441′ W. Marker is near Heidelberg, Pennsylvania, in Allegheny County. Marker is at the intersection of Old Washington Pike and Church Street, on the right when traveling south on Old Washington Pike. Click for map. The sign is located on the grounds of the church. Marker is in this post office area: Carnegie PA 15106, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Heidelberg Raceway and Sports Arena (approx. 0.2 miles away); Neville House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Bower Hill (approx. mile away); Honus Wagner (approx. 1.6 miles away);
Old St. Luke's Church and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Wintermantel, March 18, 2011
2. Old St. Luke's Church and Marker
Southminster Presbyterian Church (approx. 2.4 miles away); Mt. Lebanon Municipal Building (approx. 2.4 miles away); Saint Bernard Church (approx. 2.5 miles away); Borough of Dormont Pool (approx. 2.6 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Heidelberg.
 
Also see . . .  Christian History in America Old St. Lukes. (Submitted on March 18, 2011, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.)
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.Settlements & SettlersWar, French and Indian
 
Old St. Luke's Church image. Click for full size.
By Mike Wintermantel, March 18, 2011
3. Old St. Luke's Church
Old St. Luke's Church John Neville Plaque image. Click for full size.
By Mike Wintermantel, March 18, 2011
4. Old St. Luke's Church John Neville Plaque
To the glory of God and in commemoration of the life and services of General John Neville 1731-1803 Patriot and Churchman Founder of this The First Episcopal Church in Allegheny County This tablet is placed by his descendents A.D. 1912
Old St. Luke's Church Historic Landmark Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Wintermantel, March 18, 2011
5. Old St. Luke's Church Historic Landmark Marker
Historic Landmark St. Luke's Church, Chartiers 1765 - Services in stockade 1852 - Stone Church erected Pittsburgh History & Landmarks Foundation
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 805 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement