HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
            “Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
  Home  — My Markers  — Add A Marker  — Marker Series  — Links & Books  — Forum  — About Us
Colonie in Albany County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Maplewood Historic Park
 
Maplewood Historic Park Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Howard C. Ohlhous, October 22, 2007
1. Maplewood Historic Park Marker
 
Inscription.
Site of Erie Canal lock &
former Weighlock Bldg.1850-1915
located near "The Juncta" of old
Erie and Champlain Canals

 
Erected by Town of Colonie.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Erie Canal marker series.
 
Location. 42° 44.208′ N, 73° 42.028′ W. Marker is in Colonie, New York, in Albany County. Marker is on 2nd Avenue (New York Route 32) north of 26th Street, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Watervliet NY 12189, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Weighlock Building (a few steps from this marker); Erie Canal (approx. 0.3 miles away); Mayor James F. Cavanaugh (approx. 0.4 miles away); T'was The Night Before Christmas (approx. half a mile away); Locking Through (approx. half a mile away); Charles Nalle Fugitive Slave (approx. 0.6 miles away); Uncle Sam Monument (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Nalle Rescue (approx. 0.6 miles away).
 
Regarding Maplewood Historic Park.
West Troy Weigh Lock

The West Troy Weighlock Building, 1850-1915, a Greek-revival structure, was one of several
 
Maplewood Historic Park Marker - Route 32 Photo, Click for full size
By Howard C. Ohlhous, March 17, 2011
2. Maplewood Historic Park Marker - Route 32
 
weigh stations along the Erie Canal used to levy tolls for barges carrying merchandise and farm goods.

Until 1850 most freight cargoes were measured by the displacement theory, but the West Troy hydraulic type worked with scales rather than displacement. After a boat entered the lock the lock doors were closed, and then the water was drained out allowing the boat to come to rest on a wooden cradle. Certain rods transferred the boat's weight along a series of levers to the beam of the scales inside the Weighlock building. The Weight Master moved a center balancing weight along the beam which determined the weight of the loaded boat. The weighlock became obsolete after in the late 1800's because the state abolished tolls in order to compete with the railroads.

The first West Troy Weighlock of the Clinton's Ditch era was one of the first three weighlocks built, being erected in 1824. In 1834 this lock was completely rebuilt and overhead a "frame building was erected, with proper offices for the collector, weight-master, and inspector: The old scales, however, were reused. Designed for vessels weight only thirty to forty tons, they were clearly soon inadequate. Amazingly, they continued in use until the Weighlock was once again rebuilt, this time on a site further to the north and away from the crowded Upper Watervliet Sidecut. The new Enlarged Erie West Troy Weighlock
 
Maplewood Historic Park Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Howard C. Ohlhous, March 17, 2011
3. Maplewood Historic Park Marker
 
with its new Fairbanks scale was in operation by 1851. While improvements were made to the scales in the years ahead, most of the official mentions of the Weighlock refer to the Weighlock house. It was fitted with gas lights in 1854. A "suite of rooms has been fitted up in connection with the Weighmaster's office" in 1868. By the late 1870s settling of the foundation was causing sever structural stress. Walls cracked and crumbled. In 1881 the north and south ends were rebuilt. The Weighlock itself was reported in 1908 to be out of commission for a number of years. Since tolls had been abolished several decades earlier, in 1883, this report should have come as no surprise. In 1919 the Great Eastern Storage, Transfer and Wrecking Company purchased the building and probably removed it soon thereafter. Of the seven weighlocks that once operated on the Erie Canal, the Syracuse Weighlock is the only one remaining, now home of the Erie Canal Museum.
 
Also see . . .
1. The Travels of Tug 44: Old Erie Canal - West Troy Weighlock. (Submitted on March 19, 2011, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York.)
2. Weigh Lock House at West Troy. (Submitted on March 19, 2011, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York.)
3. Historic Photo of the West Troy (Watervliet) Weighlock. The New York State Museum Canal Society Collection of the Erie Canal. (Submitted on March 19, 2011, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York.) 
 
Additional keywords.
 
Remains of the West Troy Weighlock in the Maplewood Historic Park Photo, Click for full size
By Howard C. Ohlhous, November 2, 2006
4. Remains of the West Troy Weighlock in the Maplewood Historic Park
 
West Troy Weighlock Weigh Lock Watervliet Erie Canal Historic Marker Maplewood Colonie
 
Maplewood Historic Park Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Howard C. Ohlhous, May 16, 2011
5. Maplewood Historic Park Marker
The Weighlock Marker and the weighlock remains are in the background.
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on March 19, 2011, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. This page has been viewed 620 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 19, 2011, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York.   5. submitted on May 17, 2011, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
 
Recommend or Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr


•••
More Search Options
 
Markers
Near You

 
Categories

 
States & Provinces

 
Counties
Click to List


 
Countries

Page composed
in 430 ms.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
To search within this page, hold down the Ctrl key and press F.
On an Apple computer,
hold down the Apple key and press F.