Hilton Head Island in Beaufort County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Charlie Simmons, Sr.
Until the late 1920's sailboats were the primary means of transportation to and from the Island. Mr. Simmons bought the first locally owned motorboat. That boat meant that Islanders could make three trips to Savannah each week, rather than one. Mr. Simmons also ran a general store, and when Islanders asked for an item he didn't have, he would have it the next day. Mr. Simmons' boats served a vital role in transporting goods and people to the Island.
Erected 2010 by Town of Hilton Head Island.
Location. 32° 12.795′ N, 80° 44.823′ W. Marker is in Hilton Head Island, South Carolina, in Beaufort County. Marker is on Spanish Wells Road, on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Located approx. 500 feet south of William Hilton Parkway US 278. Marker is in this post office area: Hilton Head Island SC 29926, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. William Simmons House (approx. one mile away); Hilton Head Island Veterans Memorial (approx. 2.4 miles Pinckney Island (approx. 2.5 miles away); Charles Cotesworth Pinckney (approx. 2.5 miles away); In Memoriam (approx. 2.9 miles away); Revolutionary War Ambush (approx. 2.9 miles away); Zion Chapel of Ease and Cemetery (approx. 2.9 miles away); Fort Howell - 1864 (approx. 3.5 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Hilton Head Island.
Also see . . . 'Mr. Transportation' was Hilton Head's lifeline, by Tom Barton November 29, 2010. (Submitted on March 22, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 796 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.