Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Dade City in Pasco County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Pasco County

 
 
Pasco County Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, 2011
1. Pasco County Marker
Inscription. Pasco County was created from Hernando County on May 12, 1887. The are was first inhabited by Muscogee Indians and the first white men in area came with Spanish explorer Panfilo de Narvaez in May, 1528. Narvaez fought the Indians near the Withlacoochee River before moving northward. Few white settlers were in the area until the 1840's. It is home of St. Leo College and is noted for citrus and naval stores.
 
Erected 1961 by Florida Board of Parks and Historical Memorials. (Marker Number F-56.)
 
Location. 28° 21.85′ N, 82° 11.343′ W. Marker is in Dade City, Florida, in Pasco County. Marker is on 7th Street (State Route 700), (Alternate U.S. 301), on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Located between Pasco Avenue and Meridian Avenue, on Courthouse grounds in Dade City. Marker is in this post office area: Dade City FL 33525, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Mount Zion African Methodist Episcopal Church (approx. ¼ mile away); St. Mary's Episcopal Church (approx. ¼ mile away); Dade City Atlantic Coast Line Depot (approx. 0.3 miles away); Atlantic Coast Line Depot
Pasco County Marker and west side of Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, March 20, 2011
2. Pasco County Marker and west side of Courthouse
(approx. 0.3 miles away); Jones' Nursing Home (approx. 0.3 miles away); Saint Paul Missionary Baptist Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); Site of World War II Prisoner of War Camp (approx. 0.4 miles away); Dade City Cemetery (approx. 0.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Dade City.
 
Additional comments.
1. Pánfilo de Narváez
his expedition marched northward through interior Florida until it reached the territory of the powerful Apalachee Indians. Unable to find the gold and other riches he sought and tired of the hostilities with the Indians, Narváez ordered the construction of four rafts to return to the sea from the interior. He intended to rejoin the ships and continue to Mexico, but the vessels were destroyed in a storm. Narváez and almost all the members of his expedition died.(Wikipedia)
    — Submitted March 25, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.

 
Categories. Notable Places
 
Pasco County Marker seen along 7th Street ( State Road 700) image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, March 20, 2011
3. Pasco County Marker seen along 7th Street ( State Road 700)
Pasco County Marker Installation image. Click for full size.
By Chastain – St. Petersburg Times Staff Photographer, August 23, 1961
4. Pasco County Marker Installation
Photograph taken for short article that appeared in the St. Petersburg Times August 25, 2061. “Adding the finishing touches to the cement base is L. W. Edwards, left, park ranger from Hillsborough State Park. Arrangements were made with the county commission by Harry E. Sigrist (right) park superintendent.” (from the J. J. Prats photograph collection.)
Pasco County Marker seen near the corner of 7th Street and Meridian Avenue image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, March 20, 2011
5. Pasco County Marker seen near the corner of 7th Street and Meridian Avenue
Pasco County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, March 20, 2011
6. Pasco County Courthouse
Pasco County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, March 20, 2011
7. Pasco County Courthouse
Pasco County Courthouse listed on the National Register Of Historic Places : image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, March 20, 2011
8. Pasco County Courthouse listed on the National Register Of Historic Places :
Pasco County Courthouse (added 2006 - Building - #06000843) Also known as PA386
• Historic Significance: Event, Architecture/Engineering •
• Architect, builder, or engineer: Hosford, E.C.,, Mutual Construction Company
• Architectural Style: Classical Revival
• Area of Significance:Architecture,Politics/Government
• Period of Significance: 1900-1924, 1925-1949, 1950-1974
• Owner: Local Gov't
• Historic Function: Government
• Historic Sub-function: Courthouse
• Current Function: Government
• Current Sub-function: Courthouse
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 584 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.   4. submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia.   5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement