History of Cherokee
By 1805, half-blood Chickasaw leaders George and Levi Colbert were operating inns and a river ferry nearby on the Natchez Trace. The Chickasaw Indian Agency was moved to Agency Creek, now Malone Creek, (3.8 miles east) in 1825. Caney Creek Chickasaw School (8 miles east) opened January 15, 1827. The Treaties of 1832 and 1834 forced the Chickasaws to move west between 1837 and 1841. Public auction of Chickasaw lands began in January 1836 at Pontotoc with the future site of Cherokee reserved for James Brown, a half-blood Chickasaw. A stagecoach road was built in 1839 to connect Tuscumbia with Jacinto, MS. Increasing cotton production led to the completion of the Memphis and Charleston Railroad to Cherokee Oct. 27, 1856. The post office was relocated from the former Chickasaw Indian Agency to Cherokee on Dec. 10, 1856 with David C. Oates as postmaster. A train station was erected in 1858. Dr. William C. Cross and John W. Rutland laid out a town around the depot and sold lots. The boundary line between their plantations became Main Street.
Early physicians were William Desprez, William C. Cross, and James Houston. The first schoolhouse was located at Brotherton and Second Streets with John Craig as teacher. The first merchants were William Bell, David Lindsay, and Whitt Dean. During the Civil War,
Erected 2010 by Alabama Tourism Department and the City of Cherokee.
Location. 34° 45.382′ N, 87° 58.374′ W. Marker is in Cherokee, Alabama, in Colbert County. Marker is on Main Street just from 1st Street, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Cherokee AL 35616, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies Levi Colbert Stand (approx. 2.9 miles away); Civil War Skirmish at The Barton Cemetery (approx. 5.3 miles away); Colbert's Stand (approx. 5.8 miles away); George Colbert Memorial (approx. 5.8 miles away); Colbert Ferry (approx. 5.9 miles away); Rock Spring (approx. 8 miles away); Tiny Jewels of the Air (approx. 8 miles away); Wilson's Headquarters and Camp (approx. 9.7 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Cherokee.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. This page has been viewed 914 times since then and 82 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.