New York in New York County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Stuyvesant – Fish House
This early Federal style residence was built for Elizabeth Stuyvesant when she married Major Nicholas Fish, a hero of the Revolutionary War. It was a gift from her father, Petrus Stuyvesant, great-grandson of Peter Stuyvesant, and was one of five houses owned by the family on this once private lane. Hamilton Fish, who was born here in 1808, became successively New York’s Governor and Senator and served as Grant’s Secretary of State. Lafayette was entertained here during his triumphal visit of 1824.
[ Right Plaque ]
Hamilton Fish House
has been designated a
This site possesses national significance
in commemorating the history of the
United States of America
National Park Service
Uited States Department of the Interior
Erected 1970 by New York Community Trust.
Marker series. This marker is included in the National Historic Landmarks marker series.
Location. 40° 43.802′ N, 73° 59.319′ W. Marker is in New York, New York, in New York County. Marker is on Stuyvesant Street, on the left when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is on Stuyvesant Street between E 9th and E 10th Streets.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Hebrew Technical Institute (within shouting distance of this marker); Daniel D. Tompkins (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); St. Mark’s in-the-Bowery (about 500 feet away); Ukranian Americans World War II Memorial (about 500 feet away); Petrus Stuyvesant (about 500 feet away); a different marker also named Petrus Stuyvesant (about 500 feet away); Cooper Union (about 600 feet away); Stuyvesant Polyclinic (about 600 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in New York.
Categories. • Notable Buildings • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 444 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.