“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Pine Grove in Amador County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)


Clinton Marker image. Click for full size.
By Matt "Benjamin Franklin" Havens, March 19, 2011
1. Clinton Marker
Inscription. Prospectors in 1849 traveled from the Mokelumne River through Clinton on the way to the diggins in Volcano. In the early 1850ís, the camp of Clinton became a market town, supplying the placer miners of the middle and southern forks of Jackson Creek, and later the shallow quartz mines around Irishtown and Clinton. As a stop on the stage road between Jackson, Aqueduct City and Volcano, Clinton grew and by 1852 had 100 clapboard and canvas houses and the areas only hotel. The camp was predominantly occupied by Mexican, Chilean and French miners.
The Spagnoli family, proprietors of the main mercantile store and ranch, helped secure Clintons future by also developing the ditches that supplied water to placer claims, around the Clinton area. Once Amador County was formed in 1854, Clinton entrepreneur Thomas Loehr petitioned the county to declare the road from Jackson to Clinton a public road. In 1877 Clinton was still alive enough for the Garbarini brothers to build St. Peter & Paulís Catholic Church which remained, when the town disappeared. In 2003, descendants of the Garbariniís, returned to restore the small church and it was moved to the Kennedy Mine Foundationís grounds in the Jackson gate area.

Clinton is registered as California Historical Landmark #37

This Plaque dedicated on March 19th 2011 and year
Clinton Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, May 2011
2. Clinton Marker
of our order
by the
James W. Marshall #49 Outpost
of the
Yerba Buena Lodge #1 Capitulus Redivivus
of the Ancient and Honorable Order of E Clampsus Vitus

Erected 2011 by The James W. Marshall #49 Outpost of the Ancient and Honorable Order of E Clampus Vitus. (Marker Number 37.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the E Clampus Vitus marker series.
Location. 38° 22.559′ N, 120° 40.022′ W. Marker is in Pine Grove, California, in Amador County. Marker is at the intersection of Clinton Road and Ponderosa Road / East Clinton Road, on the left when traveling south on Clinton Road. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Pine Grove CA 95665, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Pine Grove (approx. 2.6 miles away); Hun'ge (approx. 3.6 miles away); Chaw'se (approx. 3.6 miles away); Petroglyphs (Rock Carvings) (approx. 3.6 miles away); Chaw Sť Roundhouse (approx. 3.7 miles away); Volcano Masonic Cave (approx. 4.9 miles away); Moose Milk (approx. 5 miles away); St. George Hotel (approx. 5 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Pine Grove.
Categories. Industry & CommerceSettlements & Settlers
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Matt "Benjamin Franklin" Havens of Pine Grove, California. This page has been viewed 555 times since then and 61 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on , by Matt "Benjamin Franklin" Havens of Pine Grove, California.   2. submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. • Picture of St. Peter & Paul's Catholic Church • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement