Earleton in Alachua County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Earleton is named for General Elias B. Earle (1821-1893) who received government land grants in Florida for his service in the U.S./Mexican War (1846-48). Born into a prominent South Carolina family, Gen. Earle fought in the Palmetto Regiment, enlisted as a private, and at the warís end received the honorary commission of General from the Governor of South Carolina. He moved to the western shore of Lake Santa Fe with his wife and four children between 1856 and 1860. When the Civil War began, Gen. Earle owned a 2000-acre cotton plantation north of here and had 50 slaves, making him one of the largest slave holders in Alachua County. A colonel of the Seventh Florida Regiment, Earle joined Capt. J.J. Dickisonís Company H for the 1864 Battle of Gainesville, leading an infantry of ninety men down what is now E. University Ave. After the war, Earle became a director for the canal company connecting Lake Santa Fe to Lake Alto and president of the Green Cove Springs to Melrose Railroad. His son-in-law, German botanist Baron Hans von Luttichau (1845-1926) created the “Collins-Belvedere Azalea Gardens” in Earleton, introducing Formosa azaleas to Florida. Earle is buried in the family plot at Eliam Cemetery in Melrose.
St. Johnís Episcopal Church and Cemetery were established
Erected 2008 by Historic Melrose, Inc. and the Florida Department of State. (Marker Number F-625.)
Location. 29° 44.32′ N, 82° 6.271′ Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Earleton FL 32631, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Melrose (approx. 3.9 miles away but has been reported missing); Melrose Woman's Club (approx. 4 miles away); Melrose High School (approx. 4.2 miles away); Melrose Cemetery (approx. 4.3 miles away); Dickison and His Men / Jefferson Davis' Baggage (approx. 5.2 miles away); Waldo (approx. 5.2 miles away); For All Who Served (approx. 5.2 miles away); The Bellamy Road (approx. 7.3 miles away).
Categories. • Notable Places •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,591 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.