Madison in Dane County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Bradley-Sigma Phi House
has been designated a
National Historic Landmark
This site possesses national significance
in commemorating the history of the United States of America
Erected 1978 by the Heritage Conservation and Recreation Service, United States Department of the Interior.
Marker series. This marker is included in the National Historic Landmarks marker series.
Location. 43° 4.196′ N, 89° 25.278′ W. Marker is in Madison, Wisconsin, in Dane County. Marker is at the intersection of North Prospect Avenue and Van Hise Avenue, on the right when traveling south on North Prospect Avenue. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 106 North Prospect Avenue, Madison WI 53726, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Elliott House (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Gilmore House (about 700 feet away); Buell House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Morehouse House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Aldo Leopold House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Ely House Smith-Ogg House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Terrace Homes Apartments (approx. 0.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Madison.
Regarding Bradley-Sigma Phi House. According to the Madison Landmarks Commission, which designated this house, which dates from 1909, as a landmark (no. 1) on May 18, 1971, "The Bradley house is one of the masterpieces of Prairie School design and is among Madison's most important architectural landmarks. The house was a present from Chicago plumbing magnate Charles Crane to his daughter Josephine and her husband Harold C. Bradley, a professor of chemistry at the UW. It is one of only a few residences designed in the office of Chicago architect Louis Sullivan, one of the greatest architects of all time. George Elmslie executed much of the design, which incorporated daringly cantilevered sleeping porches, raked brick joints, banded leaded glass windows, widely flaring eaves and beautiful Sullivanesque ornament. Severely damaged by fire in 1972, the house was restored by the Sigma Phi Society, its residents since 1914."
Also see . . . Madison Landmarks Commission. The landmark nomination form for (Submitted on March 29, 2011, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 584 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on , by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.