Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Port Clinton in Ottawa County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Indian Mill Stone

 
 
Indian Mill Stone Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, June 7, 2010
1. Indian Mill Stone Marker
Inscription. This stone, with indentations on the top making natural bowls, was used for grinding corn. It was found at the site of old Fort Sandoski which stood on the north shore of Sandusky Bay overlooking the south end of the De Lery Portage.
 
Location. 41° 30.711′ N, 82° 56.244′ W. Marker is in Port Clinton, Ohio, in Ottawa County. Marker is at the intersection of East 2nd Street and Adams Street, on the right when traveling east on East 2nd Street. Click for map. This historical marker is located on the eastern edge of the downtown area, a block south of the roadway that runs east to west along the Lake Erie shoreline. Marker is in this post office area: Port Clinton OH 43452, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. American Expedition 1813 (approx. mile away); War of 1812 (approx. mile away); End of Harrison's Trail In Ohio - War of 1812 (approx. 0.3 miles away); Old French War - Pontiac's Conspiracy - Revolutionary War / French Expedition, 1754 (approx. 1.7 miles away); Fort Sites / De Lery Portage (approx. 1.7 miles away); Boundary Marker
Indian Mill Stone Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, June 7, 2010
2. Indian Mill Stone Marker
View of the Indian Mill Stone with the historical marker affixed to the top of the Indian Mill Stone.
(approx. 6 miles away); Medusa Portland Cement Company (approx. 7.1 miles away); South Bass Island Light (approx. 9.5 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Port Clinton.
 
More about this marker. The Indian Mill Stone, that is the focus of this historical marker, was originally located about 1.7 miles to the southeast, at the southern end of what was the DeLery Portage, near the site of what was old Fort Sandoski. It was later moved to its present location.

The DeLery Portage was at the northern end of the Sandusky - Scioto Trail, running across the base of the Marblehead Peninsula, between Lake Erie (at the mouth of the Portage River) and the Sandusky Bay.
 
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. To better understand the relationship, study each marker in the order shown.
 
Categories. Native Americans
 
Indian Mill Stone Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, June 7, 2010
3. Indian Mill Stone Marker
View of the top of the Indian Mill Stone, showing the indentations that were used by the Indians for grinding corn.
Indian Mill Stone Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, June 7, 2010
4. Indian Mill Stone Marker
Another view of the Indian Mill Stone, showing the indentations that were used by the Indians for grinding corn.
Indian Mill Stone Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, June 7, 2010
5. Indian Mill Stone Marker
View looking east along the southern side of East 2 Street of the Indian Mill Stone.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 717 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement