Menlo Park in San Mateo County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
San Francisquito Creek Watershed
World War II to Century 21
In 1948 the, Palo Alto Bird Sanctuary – better known as “the duck pond” – was dedicated. It marked a turn away from the recreation traditionally afforded by the creek, such as rafting and waterfowl hunting.
The post-war boom in construction started in the late 1940s and continued for 25 years. More housing, commercial development, and roads led to increased runoff into streams and more environmental stress. In December 1955, floodwaters overtopped the banks at Middlefield Road and Pope/Chaucer Street. Debris in the rain-swollen San Francisquito Creek jammed at the Bayshore Highway bridge, sending residents fleeing after midnight and damaging 1,000 homes.
More flooding in 1858 helped persuade Santa Clara County voters to create a flood control district, and streams to the south
Although water stayed within the creek banks during the next 40 years, government agencies continued to regard the creek as a source of potential flooding. The complexity of working through various jurisdictions made change difficult. Flooding occurred again in February 1998, raising new fears and appeals for protection.
In the 1960s the Army Corp of Engineers had proposed building a dam to retain water in the upper watershed between Searsville Lake and the Stanford Golf Course. But localized flood control efforts downstream seemed to remove some of the flood potential, and Federal authorities deemed that other communities were more in need of support. Creating a by-pass channel was also rejected as too costly at that time.
In the 1960s a growing environmental consciousness led to rejection of a plan for major industrial development in the baylands. Instead, the Lucy Evans Baylands Nature Interpretive Center opened in 1969, flanked by an enlarged marshlands preserve.
During this era, the creekside corridor was also preserved when Menlo Park voters rejected several plans to build a Willow Road Expressway which would have impacted the creek’s natural riparian habitat.
By 1976 Searsville Lake was closed to the public and became part of Stanford’s Jasper Ridge Biological Preserve. In 1986 the Palo Alto Yacht Harbor closed when voters decided that the financial and environmental costs of further harbor dredging were too high.
While many residents in the first part of the 20th century used the creek and baylands as a dumpsite, careful sewage treatment and better refuse disposal methods were gradually adopted. Highly-treated wastewater now flows into the creek near its mouth, where fishing is allowed at the edge of the bay. In 1991 the former city refuse disposal site was re-developed as J.F. Byxbee Park, honoring the city engineer who had foreseen the need to buy baylands property in the 1920s.
Upper Left Photo:
The Palo Alto Yacht Harbor before it was closed in the 1970s.
Lower Left Map:
This map shows the straightening of San Francisquito Creek in the 1930s.
Upper Center Photo:
Searsville Lake was a recreation
Lower Center Photo:
The 1900 block of Edgewood near Greer at midnight, December 22, 1955.
As cities built up around the creek, impervious surfaces increased runoff into the creek.
Location. 37° 26.833′ N, 122° 10.201′ W. Marker is in Menlo Park, California, in San Mateo County. Marker can be reached from Alma Street near Palo Alto Avenue. Click for map. Marker is located in El Palo Alto Park between the Alma Street entrance and the pedestrian bridge which crosses the San Francisquito Creek. Marker is in this post office area: Menlo Park CA 94025, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named San Francisquito Creek Watershed (a few steps from this marker); El Palo Alto (a few steps from this marker); Portola Journey's End (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); History of Tower Well (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Hostess House War and Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.4 miles away); Hostess House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Electronics Research Laboratory (approx. 0.8 miles away); Menlo Park Railroad Station (approx. 0.9 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Menlo Park.
Also see . . . San Francisquito Creek Watershed Council. San Francisquito Creek and its tributaries drain a funnel-shaped area covering 47.5 square miles on the eastern San Francisco Peninsula. (Submitted on April 1, 2011.)
Categories. • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 595 times since then and 68 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.