Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Mazomanie in Dane County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Old Halfway Prairie

 
 
Old Halfway Prairie Marker image. Click for full size.
By William J. Toman, April 2, 2011
1. Old Halfway Prairie Marker
Inscription. This building is Dane County's oldest existing country schoolhouse. Repeated remodelings conceal an original framework of logs.

The land was donated for school purposes in 1844 by Mary Fowler, a widow and member of the British Temperance Immigration Society.

The name Halfway Prairie was coined by early lead miners who often camped here when traveling from Mineral Point to Portage. The word Old was added in 1915 to distinguish from a later school.

Early school terms were adjusted to the rhythms of season and farm work. The fall term closed with the first heavy snowfall and the spring term opened with the roads. Early teachers were paid $20 to $30 per month. Board and room cost $2.00 per month. The standard eight month term was adopted in 1895.

In 1964 Dane County accepted land and buildings as a park site.
 
Erected 1965 by the Dane County Historical Society. (Marker Number 5.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Wisconsin, Dane County Historical Society marker series.
 
Location. 43° 10.936′ N, 89° 44.381′ W. Marker is near Mazomanie, Wisconsin, in Dane County. Marker is at the intersection of State Highway 19 and County Highway F, on
Old Halfway Prairie Marker image. Click for full size.
By William J. Toman, April 2, 2011
2. Old Halfway Prairie Marker
The schoolhouse and park are in the background.
the right when traveling west on State Highway 19. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Mazomanie WI 53560, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Train Wreck of 1906 (approx. 2.7 miles away); The Turntable, The Engine House, The Water Tower (approx. 2.7 miles away); Crescent Street Factories, Mazomanie Blacksmiths, Coal Buildings (approx. 2.7 miles away); Lynch and Walker Flouring Mill (approx. 2.7 miles away); The Railroad in Mazomanie (approx. 2.7 miles away); The Flag on the Bluff (approx. 2.8 miles away); Mazomanie Community Building (approx. 2.8 miles away); Mazomanie (approx. 2.8 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Mazomanie.
 
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. These are marker pages referencing Dane County one-room schoolhouses.
 
Categories. Education
 
Old Halfway Prairie School image. Click for full size.
By William J. Toman, April 2, 2011
3. Old Halfway Prairie School
Water Pump Gazebo at Old Halfway Prairie School image. Click for full size.
By William J. Toman, April 2, 2011
4. Water Pump Gazebo at Old Halfway Prairie School
The outhouses are in the background.
Sign on Front Door of Old Halfway Prairie School image. Click for full size.
By William J. Toman, April 2, 2011
5. Sign on Front Door of Old Halfway Prairie School
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 1,247 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement