Greenville in Greenville County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Reedy River Falls
—Historic Park —
The Presbyterian Synod of South Carolina established Chicora College for Young Ladies in 1893 as "McBee's Terrace," opposite the Greenville Coach Factory on the south bank of the Reedy. Its sixteen acre campus, with grounds landscaped down to the river's edge, eventually included a 1200 seat auditorium, a dormitory, administration building, and a president's home. Liberal arts subjects, business courses (including typewriting and bookkeeping), photography, and music were taught to more than 200 young women each year. The college moved to Columbia in 1915, and in 1933 merged with Queens College in Charlotte, North Carolina. In 1917 the main college building burned, the buildings were razed, and the land redeveloped for commercial use.
Location. 34° 50.683′ N, 82° 24.133′ W. Marker is in Greenville, South Carolina, in Greenville County. Marker can be reached from South Main Street, on the right when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is located in Mary's east dining area. Marker is at or near this postal address: 615 South Main Street, Greenville SC 29601, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Touchstone House (here, next to this marker); The Touchstone House "Falls Cottage" (within shouting distance Harriet Smith Wyche (within shouting distance of this marker); History of Falls Park (within shouting distance of this marker); Dr. Charles Hard Townes (within shouting distance of this marker); Tate Plaza (within shouting distance of this marker); Wilson Cooke (within shouting distance of this marker); Reedy River Falls (within shouting distance of this marker); Hunting Grounds to Mill Town (within shouting distance of this marker); Liberty Bridge (within shouting distance of this marker). Click for a list of all markers in Greenville.
Also see . . .
1. Chicora College. From A Guide to Historic Greenville, South Carolina by John M. Nolan. (Submitted on April 4, 2011, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
2. Henry Bellamann: The Columbia, SC Years at Chicora College. Chicora College opened in 1893 in Greenville as a special ministry of the First Presbyterian Church of that city. (Submitted on April 4, 2011, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
3. New Room Opens at Hampton-Preston Mansion. A new room is open at the Hampton-Preston (Submitted on April 4, 2011, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
1. Samuel Craig Byrd, D.D., Final President of Chicora College, Columbia, S.C.
Samuel Craig Byrd, D.D., president of the Chicora College for Women at Columbia, has for a quarter of a century been distinguished by his work and leadership in church and educational affairs. With the exception of a few years while he was pastor of Presbyterian churches his career has been spent in his native state of South Carolina.
He was born at Laurens October 24, 1868, a son of Capt. Jonathan Downs and Evelyn (Craig) Byrd. He acquired a liberal education, graduating with the A. B. degree from the Presbyterian College of South Carolina at Clinton in 1889 and receiving his Master of Arts degree from the same institution in 1892. In the latter year he also graduated from the Columbia Theological Seminary. He received his Doctor of Divinity degree
During 1892-93 he was tutor of Hebrew in the Columbia Theological Seminary and left that work to become assistant pastor of the First Presbyterian Church of New Orleans. In 1894 he was ordained to the Presbyterian ministry and until 1897 was pastor of Lafayette Church in New Orleans.
He then returned to Columbia and from 1898 to 1902 was adjunct professor in the chair of English Bible, and again tutor of Hebrew in the Theological Seminary. In the meantime he was managing editor of the Presbyterian Quarterly and the Religious Outlook in Columbia in 1898-99 and then gave all his time to his duties as a member of the faculty of the Theological Seminary until 1902. From 1903 to 1906 he was pastor of the Scion Church of Winnsboro, South Carolina, and in 1906 was called to his duties as president of Chicora College at Greenville, South Carolina. July 1, 1915, this institution was consolidated with the College for Women at Columbia, and the educational work of the combined colleges has since been continued at Columbia under the name of Chicora College for Women, with Doctor Byrd as president.
Doctor Byrd was also a trustee of the Presbyterian College of South Carolina, serving for many years as president of the board, during the establishment of the college, and the growth and success attained reflects in no small degree
October 3, 1893, he married Wilhelmina Law Cozby, of Newberry and their only son, James Cozby Byrd, is now a junior student in the University of Pennsylvania. (Source: History of South Carolina, Vol V by Yates Snowden, pgs 46-47.)
— Submitted April 4, 2011, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.
Categories. • Education •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,635 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. submitted on , by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.