Lynchburg, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Lynchburg Civil War Hospitals
Knight and Miller Tobacco Factories
—Battle of Lynchburg —
The Thirty-two hospitals established in Lynchburg treated 3,000 to 4,000 patients at any given time, a remarkable achievement since Lynchburg’s 1860 population was 6,853. Citizens opened their own homes after major battle such as Gettysburg and the Wilderness when the deluge of casualties arrived by train exceeded 10,000.
Lynchburg’s hospitals made considerable progress during the war in hygiene and the treatment of wounds. Physicians like John J. Terrell and William Otway Owen worked constantly to improve conditions, saving the lives of hundreds of patients who otherwise would have died.
Erected by Virginia Civil War Trails.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Virginia Civil War Trails marker series.
Location. 37° 24.604′ N, 79° 8.647′ W. Marker is in Lynchburg, Virginia. Marker is at the intersection of 12th Street and Dunbar Drive, on the right when traveling south on 12th Street. Click for map. Marker is on the side of the warehouse to the
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Diamond Hill Baptist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Lynchburg (approx. ¼ mile away); Lynchburg History (approx. ¼ mile away); Lynchburg Confederate Soldiers Monument (approx. ¼ mile away); Mr. Elder’s Rose Garden (approx. 0.3 miles away); Federal Hill (approx. 0.3 miles away); Soldiers, Sailors, and Marines of the Spanish American War (approx. 0.3 miles away); a different marker also named Lynchburg (approx. 0.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Lynchburg.
More about this marker. In the lower center is a photo of "Lynchburg College, built in 1856-57," which "stood vacant at 10th and Wise Streets when it became Lynchburg’s first military hospital in 1863. It was designated General Hospital No.3 in 1864. The Catholic Sisters of Charity provided nursing care there." From the Lynchburg Museum Collection
On the lower left is a portrait of "Dr. John J. Terrell (1829-1922), a Quaker, served in the Confederate Medical Corps. He supervised the Pest House and discovered Glanders Disease, a fatal horse infection. He saved hundreds of army
Next to it is a portrait of "Lucy Wilhelmina Otey (1801-67) opened the independent Ladies’ Relief Hospital in the former City Hotel on Main St. in Aug. 1861. Leading 500 of Lynchburg’s most prominent women, she established one of the South’s exemplary health-care facilities during the Civil War." From the Jones Memorial Library.
A map of Lynchburg showing other hospitals is on the lower right.
Regarding Lynchburg Civil War Hospitals. This is one in a series of Civil War Trails markers interpreting the Battle of Lynchburg (17-18 June 1864) and the city's role in the Civil War. Select the Civil War Virtual Tour by Marker link below to see other related markers.
Also see . . .
1. Civil War Lynchburg Virtual Tour by Markers. An eight stop Civil War Trails tour, with several Virginia state markers and other memorials added. (Submitted on December 8, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
2. Confederate Hospitals in Lynchburg. (Submitted on December 8, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 2,990 times since then and 43 times this year. Last updated on , by Jonathan Carruthers of Bealeton, Virginia. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.