Manassas, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Mayﬁeld Civil War Fort
Fortifying the Junction
—The Manassas Museum System —
Confederate leaders recognized the importance of holding Manassas Junction against an assault by Union forces. Possession of the junction meant control of the only continuous rail link between Washington, D.C. and the Confederate capital, Richmond, as well as the connection to the agricultural bounty of the Shenandoah Valley.
In June 1861, Confederate Gen. P.G.T. Beauregard took command of the troops defending Manassas. Seeking to utilize all available resources, he issued a proclamation to the people of Loudoun, Fairfax, and Prince William counties calling on them to contribute to the military preparations.
Some of the resources were human. Slaves from area farmers were sent to work alongside Confederate soldiers to construct a ring of defensive works around the Junction.
“We are expecting an attack every day on the Junction; ordered hands out to assist in throwing
Diary entry of Amanda Virginia Edmonds of Fauquier County, Va., June 6, 1861.
Erected by Civil War Trails.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Virginia Civil War Trails marker series.
Location. 38° 45.266′ N, 77° 27.126′ W. Marker is in Manassas, Virginia. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Battery Heights Boulevard and Quarry Road, on the left when traveling south. Click for map. Located on the trail path into Mayfield Fort, on the outer embankments of the fort, about 300 feet from the parking lot. Marker is in this post office area: Manassas VA 20110, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Mayfield Civil War Fort (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Mayfield Civil War Fort (about 300 feet away); a different marker also named Mayfield Civil War Fort (about 300 feet away); a different marker also named Mayfield Civil War Fort (about 300 feet away); a different marker also named Mayfield Civil War Fort Mayfield Civil War Fort (about 500 feet away); a different marker also named Mayfield Civil War Fort (about 600 feet away); a different marker also named Mayfield Civil War Fort (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Manassas.
More about this marker. On the left side of the marker is a drawing captioned, “Confederate soldiers and slave labor were used to dig the trenches and construct the earthworks surrounding the junction.” On the right side is a facsimile of Gen. Beauregard’s request to citizens, “This proclamation of June 5, 1861, from P.G.T. Beauregard, was a rally cry to the civilian population for the support of the Southern military operations at Manassas Junction.”
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. To better understand the relationship, study each marker in the order shown.
Also see . . .
1. Mayfield Civil War Fort. (Submitted on September 8, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
2. Washington at the Time of the First Bull Run. by Arba N. Waterman, Lieutenant Colonel, 100th Illinois Infantry. Some background information concerning the operations leading up to the battle, including a discussion of Beauregard's proclaimation. (Submitted on September 8, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,702 times since then and 2 times this year. Last updated on , by Jonathan Carruthers of Bealeton, Virginia. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.