Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Saratoga in Santa Clara County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

John C. Hutchinson Building

 
 
John C. Hutchinson Building Marker image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, March 29, 2011
1. John C. Hutchinson Building Marker
Inscription. In 1856 John C. Hutchinson purchased 160 acres of land about one mile south of the Village. There was a limestone quarry on this land and lime was being produced from its lime kiln. In 1884 Mr. Hutchinson built this two story building with the first floor exterior walls of thick limestone and the second floor of wood frame construction. In the early 1950ís the building went through a major remodel. The store front was changed to have modern store front windows with glazed tile under them. Due to the original first floor limestone walls, this building was included on the Saratoga Heritage Inventory in 1993.
 
Location. 37° 15.452′ N, 122° 2.04′ W. Marker is in Saratoga, California, in Santa Clara County. Marker is at the intersection of Big Basin Way (State Highway 9) and 3rd Street, on the right when traveling west on Big Basin Way. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 14495 Big Basin Way, Saratoga CA 95070, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Site of Martin McCarty's Toll Gate (here, next to this marker); Hutchinson /Cloud-Smith Store/Samuel Cloud House (a few steps from this marker); McCarthy Building (within shouting distance of this marker);
John C. Hutchinson Building and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, March 29, 2011
2. John C. Hutchinson Building and Marker
Grover House (within shouting distance of this marker); Saratoga State Bank (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Saratoga World War I Memorial (about 800 feet away); Saratoga (approx. 0.2 miles away); History of Madronia Cemetery (approx. 0.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Saratoga.
 
More about this marker. Marker is mounted on the far left front of the building which is located on the northeast corner of the intersection and is now the Saratoga Cleaners.
 
Regarding John C. Hutchinson Building. One of two buildings built around 1884 by John Hutchinson. The building was originally a butcher shop. The early limestone structure has been modified several times.
Source: Saratoga Village Historic Walking Tour.
 
Also see . . .
1. John Hutchison. A transcribed biography originally published in Garden of the World or Santa Clara County, California, Illustrated published by The Lewis Publishing Company in 1888.
Note that at the time of this writing, he was still the Postmaster in Saratoga. (Submitted on April 7, 2011.) 
John C. Hutchinson Building image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, March 29, 2011
3. John C. Hutchinson Building
The western side of the building facing 3rd Street shows the limestone bricks forming the first-floor walls of the building.

2. Saratoga Village Historic Walking Tour. (Submitted on April 7, 2011.)
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 389 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement