Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Saratoga in Santa Clara County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Site of Martin McCarty's Toll Gate

 
 
Site of Martin McCarty's Toll Gate Marker image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, March 29, 2011
1. Site of Martin McCarty's Toll Gate Marker
Inscription.
Site of
Martin McCarty’s Toll
Gate – 1850-51.
Around it grew this
town of many names:
Toll Gate · McCartysville
Bank Mills · Saratoga

 
Erected by Saratoga Lions Club.
 
Location. 37° 15.452′ N, 122° 2.04′ W. Marker is in Saratoga, California, in Santa Clara County. Marker is at the intersection of Big Basin Way (State Highway 9) and 3rd Street, on the right when traveling west on Big Basin Way. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Saratoga CA 95070, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. John C. Hutchinson Building (here, next to this marker); Hutchinson /Cloud-Smith Store/Samuel Cloud House (a few steps from this marker); McCarthy Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Grover House (within shouting distance of this marker); Saratoga State Bank (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Saratoga World War I Memorial (about 800 feet away); Saratoga (approx. 0.2 miles away); History of Madronia Cemetery (approx. 0.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Saratoga.
 
Regarding Site of Martin McCarty's Toll Gate. In 1850-51 Martin McCarty,
Site of Martin McCarty's Toll Gate Marker image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, March 29, 2011
2. Site of Martin McCarty's Toll Gate Marker
The John C. Hutchinson Building is seen behind the marker.
a lumberman, built a toll road up the canyon to what had become known as Campbell's Redwoods. At the lower end of the road a small settlement, then known as Toll Gate, began to grow. In 1855 a post office was established under the name of McCartysville. McCarty's toll gate crossed Big Basin Way, then known as Lumber Street, near the corner of Third Street. In 1854 William Haun and John Whisman established a gristmill called Redwood Mills. The mill was later purchased by Charles Maclay who changed the name to Bank Mills. In 1863 he was also successful in changing the name of the post office to Bank Mills. In 1865 the village changed its name again. This time Saratoga was chosen as the town was close to the nearby Congress Mineral Springs. The name commemorates the famous mineral springs in New York.
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceSettlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 557 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement