Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Madison in Dane County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

George Soelch Investment House

c 1860 \ 1887

 
 
George Soelch Investment House Marker image. Click for full size.
By William J. Toman, April 5, 2011
1. George Soelch Investment House Marker
Inscription.
George Soelch
Investment House

c 1860 \ 1887
is listed in the
State Register of
Historic Places

 
Erected by the State Historical Society of Wisconsin.
 
Location. 43° 5.041′ N, 89° 21.497′ W. Marker is in Madison, Wisconsin, in Dane County. Marker is at the intersection of South Dickinson Street and Rutledge Street, on the left when traveling south on South Dickinson Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 629 South Dickinson Street, Madison WI 53703, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Anton F. and Mary Kubicek Duplex (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); Yahara River Parkway (approx. 0.2 miles away); Sixth Ward Public Library (approx. 0.2 miles away); John A. Johnson made Madison's Factory District Flourish (approx. mile away); Gay Liberation Sculpture (approx. mile away); B. B. Clarke House (approx. 0.3 miles away); a different marker also named Yahara River Parkway (approx. 0.3 miles away); Orton Park (approx. 0.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Madison.
 
Regarding George Soelch Investment House. According to the Biographical Review
George Soelch Investment House Marker image. Click for full size.
By William J. Toman, April 5, 2011
2. George Soelch Investment House Marker
The marker is to the right of the front door.
of Dane County (1893), see link, "Among the successful businesses of Madison, and one which has been appreciated by the citizens, is the meat market conducted by J. George SOELCH. This place of business was opened in 1853, and it was for years known by the name of the Old City Meat Market. Mr. SOELCH took possession of it in 1865, and is now the oldest dealer of the kind in the city who has been continually in the business.

"J. George SOELCH was born in Bavaria, Germany, 26 March 1836, and there he grew up and was educated in the same place, and was the first of his family to come to the United States. He took passage in the spring of 1853, from Bremer Havre, on a sailer called the "Ocean," and finally landed in New York City, after a passage of thirty-four days. He came thence to Chicago. The father of our subject was a most worthy merchant in the meat line in Bavaria, and there he died in 1889, at the age of eighty-six years. At the same time he conducted an hotel in his native place, and when he died he was mourned by all, as he had been a good and consistent member of the Lutheran Church. The mother of our subject is yet living in Bavaria. Her maiden name was Miss Barbara KEASTE."

This property is record no. 38712 in the Wisconsin Historical Society's Architecture & History Inventory, which notes that the house is much older than surrounding houses and, therefore, was probably moved to its current location in 1887.
 
Also see . . .  J. George Soelch Biography. From the Biographical Review of Dane County(1893) (Submitted on April 8, 2011, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin.) 
 
Categories. Notable BuildingsNotable Persons
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 422 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement