New York in New York County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Dyckman Farmhouse Museum
Dyckman House Park
—.545 acre —
Built by William Dyckman in approximately 1784, this house was once the center of a thriving farm more than 250 acres in size. Dyckman Farmhouse, along with the smokehouse and reconstructed “Hessian Hut,” has been a public museum since 1916.
Jan Dyckman arrived in New Amsterdam in the 1660s and began acquiring land in northern Manhattan. At the time of the American Revolution, Jan’s grandson William had inherited the Dyckman estate and the family homestead stood near present-day 210th Street and the Harlem River. During the British occupation of Manhattan (1776-83), William Dyckman and his wife Mary fled their home and sought refuge in upstate New York.
When the war ended, William returned to find his family’s home destroyed. It is believed that he immediately began building this new farmhouse, choosing a location further inland and on the newly re-routed Kingsbridge Road (now Broadway). The small two-story Dutch Colonial style home that William built served three generations of the Dyckman family. William’s son Jacobus took over in the 1790s, re-established the farm, and saw it prosper. After his death, Jacobus’ two bachelor sons Isaac and Michael inherited the farmhouse. By the 1850s, Isaac, Michael and their nephew Isaac Michael Dyckman moved away, marking the end of Dyckman family residency here.
To ensure the farmhouse’s preservation, Mary Alice Dyckman Dean and Fannie Fredericka Welch, daughters of Isaac Michael, bought the property in 1915. With their husbands, curator Bashford Dean and architect Alexander McMillian Welch, they undertook a major restoration project to bring the farmhouse back to what they believed was its earliest appearance. They furnished the interiors and landscaped the property. Also, a reproduction smokehouse and reconstructed “Hessian Hut” were added to the site. The Dyckman Farmhouse Museum is owned by the New York City Department of Parks & Recreation and is a member of the Historic House trust of New York City.
Erected 2010 by City of New York Department of Parks and Recreation.
Location. 40° 52.036′ N, 73° 55.38′ W. Marker is in New York, New York, in New York County. Marker is at the intersection of Broadway (U.S. 9) and 204th Street, on the left when traveling north on Broadway. Click for map.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Hessian Military Hut (within shouting distance of this marker); Fort Tryon (approx. 0.6 miles away); Fort Tryon Park (approx. 0.7 miles away); Margaret Cochran Corbin (approx. 0.8 miles away); Colonel William Baxter (approx. 0.8 miles away); Highest Point on Manhattan (approx. 1.3 miles away); Fort Washington (approx. 1.3 miles away); Fort Number Four (approx. 1.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in New York.
Also see . . . History of the Dyckman Farmhouse. Dyckman Farmhouse Museum website. (Submitted on April 10, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
Categories. • Colonial Era • Notable Buildings • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 679 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.