Moncks Corner in Berkeley County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Berkeley Training High School
Berkeley Training High School, located here from 1955 to 1970, replaced a four-room wood school 1 mi. S at Main St. and Old U.S. Hwy. 52. That school, built in 1918-1920 at a cost of $6,700, had been partially funded by the Julius Rosenwald Foundation. The new brick school, built here in 1955 at a cost of almost $400,000, opened with an enrollment of more than 500 students in grades 8-12.
Joseph H. Jefferson, Sr. (1919-1983) was the only principal of Berkeley Training High School at this location, from 1955 to 1970. By the 1964-65 school year this school reached its peak of 723 students in grades 8-12. Its enrollment was reduced to grades 9-12 in 1965-66 and then to grades 10-12 in 1968-69. Berkeley Training High School closed in 1970 after the desegregation of Berkeley County schools.
Erected 2010 by The Berkeley Training High School Alumni Association. (Marker Number 8-66.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Rosenwald Schools marker series.
Location. 33° 12.05′ N, 79° 59.693′ W. Marker is in Moncks Corner, South Carolina, in Berkeley County. Marker is on North Live Oak Drive (U.S. 17), on the right when traveling north Click for map. Located at the driveway for Berkeley Middle School campus. Marker is at or near this postal address: 320 North Live Oak Drive, Moncks Corner SC 29461, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Stony Landing Plantation (approx. 0.3 miles away); Old Moncks Corner (approx. 0.3 miles away); First Site of Moncks Corner (approx. 0.4 miles away); Dixie Training School / Berkeley Training High School (approx. 0.6 miles away); Fairlawn Plantation / Fort Fairlawn (approx. 0.8 miles away); Rembert C. Dennis Boulevard (approx. 0.9 miles away); Santee Canal (approx. 1.1 miles away); “Sojer Grave” (approx. 1.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Moncks Corner.
Also see . . . Historical marker unveiled, By Yvonne Barnes. Berkeley Independent, Tuesday, March 08, 2011 (Submitted on April 10, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Categories. • Education •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 809 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.