Highlands in Monmouth County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Just Like A Small Town
—Maritime History —
Fort Hancock was established in 1895 as an Army coastal defense post. Its huge concrete gun batteries were designed to protect New York Harbor from attack by sea.
Although it was never attacked, Fort Hancock’s garrison kept busy with work details, guard duty, drilling, training, and target practice with the big guns. It functioned like a small town. As military operations expanded, a school, movie theater, two chapels, and a YMCA were added. The post even had its own baseball team.
The garrison of soldiers grew from 400 officers and enlisted men to over 18,000 during World War II. Because of new technologies in coastal defenses, Fort Hancock was deactivated in 1974. Today, many of its buildings serve as offices and classrooms for the National Park Service and environmental monitoring and educational groups.
In 1900, the fort consisted of thirty-six buildings centered around the post headquarters and parade ground. Surrounding the parade ground were the barracks, officers’ quarters, and the post hospital. Other buildings included a bachelor officers’ quarters, noncommissioned officers’ quarters, a guardhouse, and numerous support buildings.
Erected by State of New Jersey Division of Parks & Forestry.
Location. Click for map. Marker is located in the Fort Hancock area in the Sandy Hook Unit of Gateway National Recreation Area. Marker is in this post office area: Highlands NJ 07732, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Company, Attention! (within shouting distance of this marker); The Dead House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Best of Care (about 300 feet away); Hospital Steward’s Quarters (about 400 feet away); NOAA Fisheries Service (about 400 feet away); This Is Why It’s Called Sandy Hook! (about 600 feet away); The Guns of Sandy Hook (about 700 feet away); New York Yankees vs. Hometown Sluggers (about 700 feet away).
More about this marker. The bottom right of the marker features a photo of “Garrison drilling on the parade ground, ca. 1905” and a “U.S. Army plan, Fort Hancock, ca. 1900.”
The lower left of the marker contains photographs of an “Exhibition game between the Fort Hancock team and the New York Giants, April 1943” and the “Fort Hancock Post school, 1924.”
Also see . . .
1. Fort Hancock (Submitted on April 15, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
2. New Jersey Coastal Heritage Trail Route. National Park Service website. (Submitted on April 15, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
Categories. • Forts, Castles •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 381 times since then and 46 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.