Charles Town in Jefferson County, West Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
The Stribling House
used this home as his headquarters
during the Civil War. On the 17th of
September, 1862 Sheridan met Gen.
U.S. Grant here to plan the 1864
Shenandoah Valley Campaign.
Erected by Charles Town Historic Landmarks Commission.
Location. 39° 17.437′ N, 77° 51.313′ W. Marker is in Charles Town, West Virginia, in Jefferson County. Marker is at the intersection of E Washington Street (U.S. 340 Bus) and S Seminary Street, on the right when traveling east on E Washington Street. Click for map. Marker is located in front of the Carriage Inn Bed & Breakfast. Marker is at or near this postal address: 417 E Washington Street, Charles Town WV 25414, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Rutherford House (a few steps from this marker); Edge Hill Cemetery (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Zion Episcopal Churchyard (about 500 feet away); Focus of Action (about 700 feet away); John Yates (approx. ¼ mile away); Confederate Soldiers of Jefferson County (approx. Jefferson County Courthouse (approx. ¼ mile away); Jefferson County World War II Memorial (approx. ¼ mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Charles Town.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 523 times since then and 84 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.