Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Orland in Glenn County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Papst Flour Mill Site

 
 
Papst Flour Mill Site Marker image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein
1. Papst Flour Mill Site Marker
Inscription.
{The marker consists of 3 plaques, the first reading:}
A millstone from the steam powered flour mill built in 1880 by Albert Papst. It is believed the stone came from France. Fire destroyed the four storied mill in 1881.
Donated by the Guilford Family

{The second plaque reads:}
H.W.C. Nelson
49er, Banker, Rancher
Owner of mill

{The bottom plaque reads:}
Erected by
Orland Kiwanis
1988
 
Erected 1988 by Orland Kiwanis.
 
Location. 39° 44.692′ N, 122° 11.599′ W. Marker is in Orland, California, in Glenn County. Marker is at the intersection of Mill Street and 3rd Street on Mill Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 333 Mill Street, Orland CA 95963, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 15 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Swift Adobe (approx. 1.1 miles away); William Semple Green (approx. 8.1 miles away); Gianella Bridge (approx. 10.7 miles away); Maywood Woman's Clubhouse (approx. 12.6 miles away); Miners Inn (approx.
Papst Flour Mill Site Marker image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, April 17, 2011
2. Papst Flour Mill Site Marker
12.7 miles away); The Hotel Maywood (approx. 12.7 miles away); Bayliss Library (approx. 13.7 miles away); Lassen Trail - Lassen Rancho Site (approx. 14.9 miles away).
 
More about this marker. The marker is located between the Carnegie Community Center and the library, in Library Park.
 
Categories. Industry & Commerce
 
Papst Flour Mill Site Marker - wide view image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, April 17, 2011
3. Papst Flour Mill Site Marker - wide view
Behind the marker is the east side of the Carnegie Community Center, a former Carnegie Library (built in 1920, and served as Orland's library until the construction of its replacement in 1971).
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 450 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement