Falls Village in Litchfield County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
Erected by the Town of Canaan
The Falls Village – Canaan Historical Society
and the Connecticut Historical Commission bn 1972
Erected 1972 by the Town of Canaan, The Falls Village – Canaan Historical Society, the Connecticut Historical Commission.
Location. 41° 57.308′ N, 73° 21.876′ W. Marker is in Falls Village, Connecticut, in Litchfield County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street and Railroad Street, on the left when traveling west on Main Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 107 Main Street, Falls Village CT 06031, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Falls Village Veterans Monument (a few steps from this marker); Nation's First Public Library (approx. 3.5 miles away); Salisbury Academy (approx. 3.5 miles away); Salisbury (approx. 3.5 miles away); The Old Burying Ground (approx. 3.5 miles away); Salisbury Veterans Monument (approx. 3.5 miles away); Salisbury Soldiers' Monument (approx. 3.6 miles away); Central New England Railroad (approx. 3.6 miles away).
Regarding Canaan. Once there was a dream that Falls Village would become an industrial mecca. It would be fueled with an abundance of hydropower thanks to miles of stone canals running along the Housatonic River at the Great Falls. Those canals (along with much of Falls Village) were built up over the course of several years. In 1851, the canals finally opened. The crowds cheered, the water flowed, and everything leaked .....
.....Thanks to that dream and the fact that it died, Falls Village lives on - much as it was in 1851.
(from the Town of Canaan web page)
Also see . . .
1. Town of Canaan. (Submitted on April 20, 2011, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
2. Canaan, Connecticut on Wikipedia. (Submitted on April 20, 2011, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
Categories. • Colonial Era • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 430 times since then and 60 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.