Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Milford in Sussex County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Mispillion River Greenway Historical Sites

 
 
Mispillion River Greenway Historical Sites Marker image. Click for full size.
By Nate Davidson, April 21, 2011
1. Mispillion River Greenway Historical Sites Marker
Inscription. See individual pictures for text.
 
Location. 38° 54.75′ N, 75° 25.967′ W. Marker is in Milford, Delaware, in Sussex County. Marker can be reached from Mill Street 0.1 miles south of Front Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Milford DE 19963, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Milford (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Parson Thorne Mansion (about 700 feet away); Joseph Oliver (approx. 0.2 miles away); Christ Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Towers (approx. 0.2 miles away); Major General Alfred T.A. Torbert (approx. mile away); a different marker also named Milford (approx. mile away); Vale-Williams Memorial City Hall (approx. mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Milford.
 
Categories. Notable Places
 
Railroad image. Click for full size.
By Nate Davidson, April 21, 2011
2. Railroad
Old railroad bridge at Silver Lake, showing peninsulas and one of the islands, circa 1908.
Williams Bark Mill image. Click for full size.
By Nate Davidson, April 21, 2011
3. Williams Bark Mill
Williams Bark Mill, which stood at the head of Silver Lake, was a flourishing business in 1880. Here bark was rossed (stripped) from oak trees and processed to make quercitron for tanning leather.
Century Club Building image. Click for full size.
By Nate Davidson, April 21, 2011
4. Century Club Building
Century Club Building, Church Avenue. Built in 1885 for the Milford Classical Academy. Later sold to the Milford New Century Club, which owns it and uses it for meetings.
Abbott's Shipyard image. Click for full size.
By Nate Davidson, April 21, 2011
5. Abbott's Shipyard
Abbott's Shipyard in full operation on Mispillion River at end of Fisher Avenue. This shipyard began business in 1869.
Dam & Mills image. Click for full size.
By Nate Davidson, April 21, 2011
6. Dam & Mills
This Dam, Mill Race and Mill Pond are all that remains of "Milford Mills" a grand red mill first erected in 1788 by Parson Thorne. Over the past 200 years, the City of Milford has grown and flourished around this site. Located at the head of the Mispillion River tidal limits, Milford has been an ideal spot for a thriving community. Shipbuilding and agricultural commerce fueled the early economy. Dams were built, mills erected and streets located. Today, Milford has become home for many familes.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Nate Davidson of Salisbury, Maryland. This page has been viewed 417 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on , by Nate Davidson of Salisbury, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement