Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Hamburg in Aiken County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Hamburg

[Missing as of 4 July 2004]

 
 
Hamburg Marker image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, 1999
1. Hamburg Marker
Inscription. Situated between this point and the Savannah River, Hamburg was a thriving river port and trading center for cotton and tobacco. Founded in 1821 by Henry Schultz, incorporated December 19, 1827, Hamburg became the most important interior port in South Carolina. With changing times and fortunes, prosperous Hamburg declined. Only ruins remain.
 
Erected 1963 by Erected by Aiken County Historical Commission. (Marker Number 2-3.)
 
Location. Marker has been confirmed missing. It was likely located near 33° 28.947′ N, 81° 56.991′ W. Marker was in Hamburg, South Carolina, in Aiken County. Marker was on Jefferson Davis Highway (U.S. 1), on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Location: U.S. Hwy. 1 at the Savannah River, SW of Clearwater. Marker was in this post office area: North Augusta SC 29841, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. Western Terminus South Carolina Railroad (here, next to this marker); Jefferson Davis Bridge (approx. 0.7 miles away in Georgia); Georgia's State Capital (approx. 0.7 miles away in Georgia); The First Academy of Richmond County
Hamburg Marker, missing from post on right image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, January 31, 2010
2. Hamburg Marker, missing from post on right
Shared location with Western Terminus South Carolina Railroad
(approx. 0.7 miles away in Georgia); Fort Augusta (approx. mile away in Georgia); Railroads (approx. mile away in Georgia); The Colonial Church of Augusta (approx. 0.8 miles away in Georgia); Five Indian Nations (approx. 0.8 miles away in Georgia).
 
More about this marker. Confirmed missing per S.C. Dept. of Archives and History - Historical Marker and History Center 2009
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 721 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on , by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida.   2. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement