Albany in Albany County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Albany Pump Station
The original Quackenbush pumping sta. engines pumped water from Hudson River to reservoirs until Dec. 1932. In Charge of Construction: I.C. Chesbrough. Engineer; J.H. Mars, Engineer For Pump Engine Constr.
Designated as an Albany Historic Site by Common Council Jan. 15, 1981
Location. 42° 39.245′ N, 73° 44.855′ W. Marker is in Albany, New York, in Albany County. Marker is on Montgomery Street (parking lot), on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is on the east side of the building, mounted on the wall to the left of the entrance. Marker is in this post office area: Albany NY 12207, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Lincoln Mourned (within shouting distance of this marker); Herman Melville (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Erie Canal / Albany Basin (approx. ¼ mile away); Site of 1 Elk St. (approx. 0.3 miles away); Court of Appeals (approx. 0.3 miles away); Joseph Henry (approx. 0.4 miles away); Kilian Van Rensselaer (approx. 0.4 miles away); 1624-1924 (approx. 0.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Albany.
Regarding Albany Pump Station.
The Pump Station drew water from the Hudson River and pumped it under Clinton Avenue to Bleecker Reservoir, which is now Bleecker Stadium. In 1927 the pump station moved over 7 billion gallons of water. In 1932 the Alcove reservoir was put into service and the Pump Station ceased operation.
There are two, massive, overhead cranes which are still in place and operational today. These cranes, completed in 1906 and 1909 and used for pump engine repair, are each able to lift 20 tons. These cranes were used to install the fermentation and serving tanks in the brew pub establishment now located in the building.
Categories. • Charity & Public Work • Industry & Commerce • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. This page has been viewed 2,255 times since then and 5 times this year. Last updated on , by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.