Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Smithville in Bastrop County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Smithville

 
 
Smithville Marker image. Click for full size.
By Richard Denney, April 21, 2011
1. Smithville Marker
Inscription. In 1691 missionaries on the expedition of Don Domingo Teran De Los Rios sighted a lagoon which the Indians called Nenocadda. The lagoon, known today as Shipp's Lake, is on the southern edge of present Smithville. Frederick W. Grasmeyer operated a ferry here on the Colorado River in 1836. Steamboats plied the river from 1845 to about 1865.

The village of "old Smithville" was laid out on 640 acres of land granted to Thomas J. Gazley and Lewis Lomas. The town was located on the Colorado River in the northeast section of present Smithville. There were mercantile stores, dry goods shops and a Masonic Lodge. In 1876, the first post office was established with John Pride Jones as postmaster.

The Taylor, Bastrop and Houston Railroad, later a part of the Missouri, Kansas and Texas system [MKT, "Katy"] arrived in 1886 and the town relocated along the tracks.

Legend has it that a coin was tossed to decide if the name would be changed to Burlesonville for Murray Burleson, who gave the land for the railroad depot. The coin toss resulted in "Smithville" being retained as the name, apparently in honor of pioneer settler William Smith.

The town was incorporated in 1895, and T.C. Collins served as the first mayor . Today, Smithville is a municipality with approximately 3.5 square miles inside the city limits
 
Marker series.

Marker is located in front of Smithville's City Hall image. Click for full size.
By Richard Denney, April 21, 2011
2. Marker is located in front of Smithville's City Hall
This marker is included in the El Camino Real de los Tejas National Historic Trail marker series.
 
Location. 30° 0.549′ N, 97° 9.561′ W. Marker is in Smithville, Texas, in Bastrop County. Marker is on Main Street. Click for map. Marker is located in front of the Smithville's City Hall. Marker is at or near this postal address: 317 Main Street, Smithville TX 78957, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Site of Woods' Fort (approx. 7.5 miles away); Felipe Entrique Neri, Baron De Bastrop (approx. 10.1 miles away); Early History of the City of Bastrop (approx. 10.7 miles away); Lost Pines of Texas (approx. 10.7 miles away); The Gotier Trace (approx. 10.7 miles away); Primera Baptist Church (approx. 11.5 miles away); Thomas H. Mays (approx. 11.6 miles away); The Bastrop Advertiser (approx. 11.8 miles away).
 
Also see . . .  El Camino Real de los Tejas National Historic Trail. The expedition of Don Domingo Teran De Los Rios was utilizing what is now part of El Camino Real de los Tejas National Historic Trail (Submitted on April 4, 2012, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas.) 
 
Categories. Colonial EraHispanic AmericansRailroads & StreetcarsSettlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,093 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement