Lusk in Niobrara County, Wyoming — The American West (Mountains)
Redwood Water Tank
The Sioux City & Pacific R.R. surveyed the route from Chadron NE to Fort Fetterman Wyoming Territory in 1883. They organized the Wyoming Central Railway a Wyo. Corp. as required by law to build or own a railroad in the territory in 1886. As the railroad and facilities were constructed they were leased to the Fremont, Elkhorn & Missouri Valley R.R. Co. a subsidiary of the S C & P R. R.
Frank Lusk was a director and the local agent for the Wyoming Central Railway headquartered in Lusk, the only post office on the route. Mr. Lusk was also an agent for the Pioneer Townsite Company that established the locations of depots and platted the townsites of Van Tassell, Node, Lusk, Manville, Keeline, Lost Springs, Shawnee, Orin, Douglas, Glenrock, and Casper.
Livestock shipments, mining supplies and a source of coal enticed the R.R.s to build west. They were big business and very competitive. The rails were instrumental in the settlement of the west helped unite the continent into one nation.
All of these R.R.s were consolidated into the Chicago & North Western
The Niobrara County Historical Society obtained the tank in 1971 and has repaired and restored it with lots of community and individual support.
Erected by Niobrara County Historical Society.
Location. 42° 45.739′ N, 104° 26.587′ W. Marker is in Lusk, Wyoming, in Niobrara County. Marker is on East 3rd Street (U.S. 20) 0.1 miles east of Holly Street, on the right when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lusk WY 82225, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named Redwood Water Tank (a few steps from this marker); Oldest Building in Lusk (approx. half a mile away); Breaks in the Prairie (approx. 2.2 miles away); Lusk Rest Area (approx. 2.2 miles away); Cheyenne-Deadwood Trail (approx. 2.3 miles away); George Lathrop (approx. 2.3 miles away); Monuments to Wyoming History (approx. 3 miles away); Texas Trail - 1866 - 1897 (approx. 3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Lusk.
Also see . . .
1. Redwood Water Tank. From "Niobrara Historical Brevity" published by the Niobrara Historical Society (Niobrara County Library) (Submitted on April 28, 2011, by Volker Schmidt of Albstadt, Germany.)
2. Lusk Water Tower (pdf file). National Register of Historic Places (Submitted on April 28, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
Categories. • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Volker Schmidt of Albstadt, Germany. This page has been viewed 1,087 times since then and 37 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Volker Schmidt of Albstadt, Germany. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.