Elfrida in Cochise County, Arizona — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Camp John A. Rucker A Military Outpost
Stood on This Site 1878 - 1880
Also on this site 1884-1943 ranch headquarters of
Erected 1973 by Arizona State Society Daughters of the American Revolution.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution marker series.
Location. 31° 45.409′ N, 109° 22.217′ W. Marker is in Elfrida, Arizona, in Cochise County. Marker can be reached from North Tex Canyon Road ¼ mile east of East Rucker Canyon Road, on the right when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Elfrida AZ 85610, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 4 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Camp Rucker Timeline (approx. 0.7 miles away); Camp Rucker and the Indian Scouts (approx. 0.7 miles away); Old Camp Rucker Ranch (approx. ¾ mile away); John Ringo (approx. 8.1 miles away).
More about this marker. The site no longer has any signs on the road that indicate its existance. The National Park Service removed the signs and deferred maintenance of
Also see . . .
1. John Anthony Rucker, First Lieutenant, United States Army. The Arlington National Cemetery website details the event that took his life and offers information on Camp Rucker. (Submitted on April 29, 2011.)
2. Camp Rucker. First known as Camp Supply it housed a mounted infantry unit. Name was changed in 1878 after the drowning of Lt. Rucker. (Submitted on April 29, 2011.)
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by James Nuti of Bisbee, Arizona. This page has been viewed 816 times since then and 3 times this year. Last updated on , by James Nuti of Bisbee, Arizona. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by James Nuti of Bisbee, Arizona. 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. submitted on , by James Nuti of Bisbee, Arizona. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.