Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Parker in Bay County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Site of Loftin's Ferry

 
 
Site of Loftin's Ferry Marker image. Click for full size.
By Paul F, April 27, 2011
1. Site of Loftin's Ferry Marker
East side of two-sided marker.
Inscription. Loftin’s Ferry, on Pitts Avenue, which later became Parker, was an important part of the major land route called the “Military Road” that ran from Apalachicola through St. Joseph to Marianna and beyond. This road, constructed from 1836 to 1838 under Major J.D. Graham, was the only land link to the City of St. Joseph, bringing travelers, mail and commerce from the north. In 1838, dignitaries attending Florida’s first constitutional convention traveled by stage on this road. The site, originally known as Reviere’s Bluff, was named after early settler Henry L. Reviere (1785-1845). By 1835 it became a ferry crossing and accommodation stop operated by William M. Loftin (1785-1838). Loftin had been sheriff and tax collector of Jackson County (1823) and in 1836 became a surveyor and revenue inspector for the Port of St. Andrews. About this time, Loftin, Reviere and Joseph M. White (d. 1839), Florida's first territorial delegate to Congress (1825-1837), developed and named this community “Austerlitz” after the French village where Reviere’s family lived. The name “Parker” was adopted in 1886 to honor the two separate families of Peter Ferdinand Parker (1817-1892) and William Henry Parker (1857-1937).
 
Erected 2001 by City of Parker and the Florida Department of State
Site of Loftin's Ferry Marker image. Click for full size.
By Paul F, April 27, 2011
2. Site of Loftin's Ferry Marker
West side of two-sided marker.
. (Marker Number F-459.)
 
Location. 30° 7.692′ N, 85° 36.648′ W. Marker is in Parker, Florida, in Bay County. Marker is on Pitts Avenue 0.1 miles south of Aster Street, on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is located at the bend in the road where Pitts Avenue turns east. Marker is in this post office area: Panama City FL 32404, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Old Callaway One-Room School House (approx. 2.5 miles away); The Gideon Versus Wainwright Case (approx. 3.4 miles away); Robert Lee McKenzie's Home and Office (approx. 3.5 miles away); John Christo, Senior (approx. 4.5 miles away); The St. Andrew Bay Saltworks (approx. 4.9 miles away); St. Andrew Skirmish (approx. 5.2 miles away); The Old Sentry (approx. 6 miles away); Salt Kettle (approx. 6 miles away).
 
Categories. Settlements & SettlersWaterways & Vessels
 
Site of Loftin's Ferry Marker image. Click for full size.
By Paul F, April 27, 2011
3. Site of Loftin's Ferry Marker
Looking out to the bay.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 1,042 times since then and 36 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement