Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Panama City in Bay County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

St. Andrew(s) School

 
 
St. Andrew(s) School Marker image. Click for full size.
By Paul F, April 27, 2011
1. St. Andrew(s) School Marker
East side of two-sided marker.
Inscription. The first school in St. Andrew, a community established ca. 1827, was built in 1850. That building burned down. The second school was a two-story wooden structure with two large rooms on each floor. The school had four teachers and 100 students. In 1925, that school burned, six weeks before the summer recess. On July 7, 1926, voters overwhelmingly approved the issuance of bonds totaling $60,000 to build the present school. E.D. Fitchner, a Tallahassee architect, drew the plans for the 12 classrooms and an auditorium. J.R. Asbell of Panama City was the contractor. St. Andrew(s) School has a Mediterranean Revival Style with classical motifs, and is most noted for its arched windows, red tile roof, and impressive auditorium. During World War II (1941-1945), due to the Wainwright Shipyard and Tyndall Air Force Base, the area grew so rapidly that the school had to go to double sessions. Through the years the building has been used for community events, such as plays, public service forums and educational films. St. Andrew(s) School was completely renovated in 1999-2002, and is the oldest continuously functioning school in Bay County.
 
Erected 2007 by The Bay County School Board and the Florida Department of State. (Marker Number F-603.)
 
Location.
St. Andrew(s) School Marker image. Click for full size.
By Paul F, April 27, 2011
2. St. Andrew(s) School Marker
West side of two-sided marker.
30° 10.519′ N, 85° 42.103′ W. Marker is in Panama City, Florida, in Bay County. Marker is at the intersection of West 15th Street and Beck Avenue, on the right when traveling east on West 15th Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3001 West 15th Street, Panama City FL 32401, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Salt Kettle (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Old Sentry (approx. 0.6 miles away); St. Andrew Skirmish (approx. 1.1 miles away); The St. Andrew Bay Saltworks (approx. 1.4 miles away); John Christo, Senior (approx. 1.9 miles away); Panama City Airport (approx. 2.5 miles away); Robert Lee McKenzie's Home and Office (approx. 2.9 miles away); The Gideon Versus Wainwright Case (approx. 3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Panama City.
 
Also see . . .  St. Andrew Elementary School. Bay District School Board (Submitted on May 5, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.) 
 
Categories. Education
 
St. Andrew(s) School Marker image. Click for full size.
By Paul F, April 27, 2011
3. St. Andrew(s) School Marker
St. Andrew(s) School image. Click for full size.
By Paul F, April 27, 2011
4. St. Andrew(s) School
St. Andrew(s) School image. Click for full size.
By Paul F, April 27, 2011
5. St. Andrew(s) School
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 766 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement