Sharon in Litchfield County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
Sharon Clock Tower
In Memory of Emily Butler Ogden Wheeler
Emily Butler Ogden Wheeler
Anno Domini MDCCCLXXXIV
[ east side ]
Reaching Heaven: but one by one.
Take them lest the chain be broken.
Ere the pilgrimage be done.
Location. 41° 52.565′ N, 73° 28.616′ W. Marker is in Sharon, Connecticut, in Litchfield County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street (Connecticut Route 41) and Cornwall Bridge Road (Connecticut Route 4), on the right when traveling north on Main Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Sharon CT 06069, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Dedicated to the Men and Women of Sharon (within shouting distance of this marker); Sharon Veterans Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of the 2nd House of Worship (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Sharon (approx. 0.2 miles away); Sharon Soldiers' Monument (approx. 0.4 miles away); In Memory of Robert Scoville, M.A. Francis L. Sheane Memorial (approx. 6.3 miles away); Impressionism in Connecticut (approx. 7.5 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Sharon.
Regarding Sharon Clock Tower.
The Clock Tower
Built between 1885 and 1886 and designed by NY city architects Lamb & Rich, in memory of Emily Butler Ogden Wheeler by her daughters. Emily Butler Ogden Wheeler and her husband, Judge Nelson Knox Wheeler had seven children. Their oldest son, William, bought a home in Sharon and brought many members of the family to town.
Charles Alonzo Rich (b. October 22, 1854, died December 3, 1943) was an American architect who practiced in New York City from 1882 until 1933. Rich was a member of the Architectural League of New York. Rich was born in Beverly, MA, and died at his home in Charlottesville, VA at the age of 88. Mr. Rich designed the Sharon clock tower.
Reed Gillette was an electrician in Sharon, and a descendant of the Gillette Brothers who owned the store at the north end of the green. Mr. Gillette electrified the clock tower in 1961-the clock which had been wound by...Mr. George Marckres! (from the Sharon Historical Society)
Categories. • Landmarks •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 1,147 times since then and 161 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.