Pomaria in Newberry County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Hope Rosenwald School
This school, built in 1925-26 at a cost of $2,900, was one of more than 500 rural African-American schools in S.C. funded in part by the Julius Rosenwald Foundation between 1917 and 1932. The original two-acre lot for the school was donated by James H. Hope, Mary Hope Hipp, and John J. Hope. James H. Hope, then S.C. Superintendent of Education, was its longest-serving head, 1922-1947.
This two-room school, with grades 1-8 taught by two teachers, closed in 1954. In 1958 it was sold to the Jackson Community Center and Cemetery Association, comprised of nine members of the adjacant St. Paul A.M.E. Church. That group maintained the school for many years. It became the Hope Community Center in 2006 and was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 2007.
Erected 2010 by The Hope School Community Center. (Marker Number 36-20.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Rosenwald Schools marker series.
Location. 34° 16.203′ N, 81° 21.869′ W. Marker is in Pomaria, South Carolina, in Newberry County. Marker is on Hope Station Road near Peak Road (South Carolina Road 36-33), on the right when traveling south. Click for map
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. St. John's Church (approx. 1.3 miles away); Pomaria (approx. 2.9 miles away); Peak (approx. 3.1 miles away); Folk-Holloway House (approx. 3.2 miles away); Lutheran Theological Southern Seminary (approx. 3.5 miles away); Bethlehem Lutheran Church (approx. 4 miles away); Rev. Joachim Bulow. (approx. 5.5 miles away); St. Paul Lutheran Church (approx. 5.5 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Pomaria.
Regarding Hope Rosenwald School. The Hope Rosenwald School is significant for its role in African-American education and social history in South Carolina between 1925 and 1954, and as a property that embodies the distinctive features of a significant architectural type and method of schoolhouse construction popular throughout the southern United States in the early twentieth century. Like other Rosenwald schools, the Hope Rosenwald School can trace its origins to the contentious debate over the education of southern African-Americans in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. While the end of the American Civil War had brought about state-initiated funding and operation
1. National Register of Historic Places:
Hope Rosenwald School (added 2007 - - #07001045)
Also known as Jackson Community Center
♦ Historic Significance:Event,Architecture/Engineering
♦ Architect, builder, or engineer: Dresslar, Fletcher B., Smith, Samuel L.
♦ Architectural Style: Colonial Revival
♦ Period of Significance: 1950-1974, 1925-1949
♦ Owner: Private
♦ Historic Function: Education
♦ Historic Sub-function: School
♦ Current Function: Education, Work In Progress
♦ Current Sub-function: School
— Submitted May 3, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.
Categories. • African Americans • Education •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 590 times since then and 56 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 11. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.