“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Detroit in Wayne County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)

U.S. Topographical Engineers

U.S. Topographical Engineers Marker image. Click for full size.
By R. C., May 4, 2011
1. U.S. Topographical Engineers Marker
Inscription. When Michigan became a state in 1837, the Detroit office of the U.S. Topographical Engineers was headquartered on this site. The topographical engineers helped transform Michigan from a wilderness into a prosperous state. They also played a vital role in Great Lakes navigation before the Civil War. First appointed in 1813, the engineers surveyed land, canals, railroads and harbors, and platted military positions relative to roads, villages, rivers and ravines. They also constructed lighthouses. During the 1820s and 1830s engineers from the Detroit office built roads to Toledo, Saginaw and Chicago, thus opening Michigan's interior to new settlement. As a result, Michigan's population increased from 8,000 in 1820 to 200,000 in 1840.
Erected 1997 by Michigan History Division, Department of State. (Marker Number HB11.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
Location. 42° 19.756′ N, 83° 2.529′ W. Marker is in Detroit, Michigan, in Wayne County. Marker is at the intersection of East Jefferson Avenue (Michigan Route 10) and Randolph Street (Michigan Route 3) on East Jefferson Avenue. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 170 East Jefferson Avenue, Detroit MI 48226, United States of America.
Other nearby markers.
U.S. Topographical Engineers Marker image. Click for full size.
By R. C., May 4, 2011
2. U.S. Topographical Engineers Marker
At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Mariners' Church (a few steps from this marker); Shrine Circus (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Salvation Army (about 600 feet away); Spirit of Detroit (about 700 feet away); The Landing of Cadillac / Le débarquement de Cadillac (approx. 0.2 miles away); University of Michigania (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Cadillac Convoy / Le Convoi de Cadillac (approx. 0.2 miles away); George DeBaptiste Homesite (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Detroit.
Categories. MilitaryRoads & VehiclesWaterways & Vessels
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by R. C. of Shrewsbury, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 417 times since then and 64 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by R. C. of Shrewsbury, New Jersey. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photos of close view and wide view of reverse side of marker regarding "Mariner's Church". • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement