Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Detroit in Wayne County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Mariners’ Church

 
 
Mariners' Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By R. C., May 4, 2011
1. Mariners' Church Marker
Inscription. In 1842, according to the will of Julia Ann Anderson, Mariners' Church was organized to serve the spiritual needs of Great Lakes seamen. Anderson had come to Detroit in 1818 with her husband, John, a brevet lieutenant colonel with the U.S. Topographical Engineers. Designed by Calvin Otis of Buffalo, New York, the Gothic Revival church was built in 1849 on the northwest corner of Woodward Avenue and Woodbridge Street. In 1955 the church was moved to make room for Civic Center Plaza. Hauled 880 feet along steel rails to this site, the 3,000-ton limestone structure blocked Woodward Avenue traffic for 21 days. The church was immortalized in the 1975 ballad “The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald” as the “cathedral” where “the church bell chimed 'til it rang 29 times.” Mariners' Church is in the National Register of Historic Places.
 
Erected 1997 by Michigan History Center, Department of State. (Marker Number HB11.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
 
Location. 42° 19.761′ N, 83° 2.527′ W. Marker is in Detroit, Michigan, in Wayne County. Marker is at the intersection of East Jefferson Avenue (State Highway
Mariners' Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By R. C., May 4, 2011
2. Mariners' Church Marker
10) and Randolph Street (State Highway 3), on the right when traveling east on East Jefferson Avenue. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 170 East Jefferson Avenue, Detroit MI 48226, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. U.S. Topographical Engineers (a few steps from this marker); Shrine Circus (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Salvation Army (about 600 feet away); Spirit of Detroit (about 700 feet away); University of Michigania (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Landing of Cadillac / Le débarquement de Cadillac (approx. 0.2 miles away); George DeBaptiste Homesite (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Cadillac Convoy / Le Convoi de Cadillac (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Detroit.
 
Also see . . .  Mariner's Church History. (Submitted on May 12, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
Mariners' Church image. Click for full size.
By R. C., May 4, 2011
3. Mariners' Church
Mariners' Church image. Click for full size.
By R. C., May 4, 2011
4. Mariners' Church
Mariners' Church image. Click for full size.
By R. C., May 4, 2011
5. Mariners' Church
Mariners' Church George Washington Statue image. Click for full size.
By R. C., May 4, 2011
6. Mariners' Church George Washington Statue
There's a statue of President George Washington in full Master Mason's regalia in front of the church.
Mariners' Church (Sign above church office entrance) image. Click for full size.
By R. C., May 4, 2011
7. Mariners' Church (Sign above church office entrance)
Mariners' Church Native Detroit Womens' Club Plaque image. Click for full size.
By R. C., May 4, 2011
8. Mariners' Church Native Detroit Womens' Club Plaque
This church was errected on the Anderson Site in 1849-moved 880 feet east from Woodward and Woodbridge in 1955. Presented by the Native Detroit Women's Club in 1961.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by R. C. of Shrewsbury, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 483 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on , by R. C. of Shrewsbury, New Jersey. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement