Vandalia in Fayette County, Illinois — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Second State Capitol
1824 - 1836
The second state capitol owned by the State was a two-story brick building erected here in 1824, using the walls of the first State Bank which burned January 28, 1823. Abraham Lincoln was a member of the House in the 1834-1835 and 1835-1836 sessions . Vandalia paid one-fifth of the total cost of $15,000. Torn down in 1836, the salvage was used in the third capitol building.
Erected by Illinois State Historical Society.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Illinois State Historical Society marker series.
Location. 38° 57.664′ N, 89° 5.69′ W. Marker is in Vandalia, Illinois, in Fayette County. Marker is on 4th Street near Gallatin Street, on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is west across the street from the Third (Old) State Capitol. Marker is at or near this postal address: 125 South 4th Street, Vandalia IL 62471, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Elective Office (here, next to this marker); Where Did Lincoln Stay? (a few steps from this marker); First Protest Against Slavery (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of Charters Hotel Cumberland Road (within shouting distance of this marker); Madonna of the Trail (within shouting distance of this marker); Lincoln and the "Long Nine" (within shouting distance of this marker); Public Printer (within shouting distance of this marker). Click for a list of all markers in Vandalia.
Also see . . . History of Vandalia, Illinois. (Submitted on May 12, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Politics • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 371 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.