Inscription. The conflicting claims of the proprietors of Maryland and Pennsylvania resulted in a lengthy and sometimes violent dispute concerning the ownership and boundaries of Sussex County. Residents who had been Marylanders before the controversy was resolved in 1775, found themselves to be inconvenienced when traveling to Lewes, the original seat of government. Hundreds of persons signed petitions requesting removal of the county seat to a more central location. On January 29, 1791, the Delaware Assembly approved legislation resulting in the establishment of Georgetown. (Marker Number SC-88.)
By Maggie Lora, June 24, 2006
|1. Relocation of the County Seat Marker|
Location. 38° 41.416′ N, 75° 23.13′ W. Marker is in Georgetown, Delaware, in Sussex County. Marker is at the intersection of The Circle (U.S. 9) and Bedford and Market Streets, on the left on The Circle. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Georgetown DE 19947, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. “Pettijohn’s Old Field” (a few steps from this marker); Sussex County Korean War Memorial (a few steps from this marker); Sussex County World War II Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Return Day (within shouting distance of this marker); Sussex County Vietnam Veterans Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker). Click for a list of all markers in Georgetown.
By Mike Stroud, October 18, 2011
|2. Relocation of the County Seat Marker with new paint scheme in 2011, at the Market Street Circle|
Also see . . .
1. Historic overview of Sussex County. (Submitted on July 1, 2006.)
2. The Mason-Dixon Line. (Submitted on July 1, 2006.)
3. State of Delaware (A brief history). (Submitted on July 1, 2006.)
Credits. This page originally submitted on July 1, 2006, by Maggie Lora of Kensington, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,600 times since then. Photos: 1. submitted on July 1, 2006, by Maggie Lora of Kensington, Maryland. 2. submitted on October 25, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.
|Recommend or Share This Page. |