Waterford in Loudoun County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
How it Works
Amos Janney's small original mill was powered directly from the flow of Catoctin Creek. To achieve greater and more consistent power, Mahlon Janney dammed the stream and diverted the water from behind the dam through a mile-long channel or headrace, delivering it through a sluice and gates to the top of a large wooden wheel. The weight of the falling water turned the wheel. A series of gears and belts transferred the power of the rotating wheel to the mill and sawing machinery.
Grain delivered for milling was first screened and cleaned, then weighed. Initially, the Waterford Mill ground wheat to flour between large grooved burrstones. It is believed that the machinery was of an Oliver Evans design, which used as series of cups, belts and wheels, all operating from one water wheel, to pass the grain through the mill.
In 1885, roller-process machinery was installed. That more advanced process used a gradual reduction method, passing the grain through a series of rollers until the flour was of the desired fineness. The flour was then bolted, or sieved, to remove any bran particles. The final product was packed
Location. 39° 11.432′ N, 77° 36.853′ W. Marker is in Waterford, Virginia, in Loudoun County. Marker is at the intersection of Old Wheatland Road (County Route 698) and Bond Street, on the right when traveling east on Old Wheatland Road. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Waterford VA 20197, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Waterford Mill (here, next to this marker); Waterford - An Old Mill Town (a few steps from this marker); Independent Loudoun Virginia Rangers (within shouting distance of this marker); Mutual Fire Insurance Company of Loudoun County (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Tin Shop (approx. 0.2 miles away); Waterford (approx. 0.4 miles away); Waterford Baptist Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); Paeonian Springs Station (approx. 3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Waterford.
More about this marker. Two photos are on the left side of the marker:
Wheel in Operation This photograph was taken by the Historic American Buildings Survey in 1937; The mill ceased operation two years later, in 1939.
Roller Mill Interior: Today roller mill machinery similar to that installed in the mill in 1885 has
Also see . . .
1. The Old Mill of Waterford. (Submitted on December 16, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
2. Waterford Mills - Two Centuries of Milling in Waterford. Several mills were sited around Waterford. (Submitted on December 16, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 590 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.