Staten Island in Richmond County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Founding of the Dutch Church
In 1665, a small group of the first Dutch settlers to come to the shores of this island banded together for the worship of Almighty God. Through three centuries faithful men and women have continued this ministry to the community, the nation, and the world.
Therefore on this 2nd day of May 1965, we do humbly and gratefully commemorate the tercentenary of the founding of this congregation.
“Unless the Lord builds the house,
those who build it labor in vain.”
† † † † † † † † † † Psalm 127:11
Location. 40° 38.376′ N, 74° 7.941′ W. Marker is in Staten Island, New York, in Richmond County. Marker is at the intersection of Port Richmond Avenue and Church Street, on the left when traveling north on Port Richmond Avenue. Click for map. Marker is on the front of the Reformed Protestant Dutch Church. Marker is in this post office area: Staten Island NY 10302, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Reformed Protestant Dutch Church (a few steps from this marker); Five Brothers (a few steps from this marker); Burial Place (a few steps St. James Hotel (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Sullivanís Attack (about 800 feet away); Faber Park and Pool (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Pelton House (approx. 1.1 miles away); Egbert Square (approx. 1.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Staten Island.
Categories. • Churches, Etc. • Colonial Era •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 315 times since then and 36 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.