Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Point A La Hache in Plaquemines Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
 

Plaquemines Parish

 
 
Plaquemines Parish Marker image. Click for full size.
By Stephen Bell, May 18, 2011
1. Plaquemines Parish Marker
Inscription. Plaquemines Parish was founded on March 13, 1807 stretching from English Turn south 100 miles along both banks of the Mississippi River. The name originates from piakamin, the Mobile Indian word for persimmon. Fort St. Philip at Plaquemines Bend was the first center of government for the parish.
 
Erected by Plaquemines Parish Government.
 
Location. 29° 34.589′ N, 89° 47.625′ W. Marker is in Point A La Hache, Louisiana, in Plaquemines Parish. Marker is at the intersection of Parish Route 15 and East Point A La Hache Ferry ramp, on the right when traveling south on Parish Route 15. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Braithwaite LA 70040, United States of America.
 
Categories. Colonial EraSettlements & SettlersWaterways & Vessels
 
Plaquemines Parish Marker image. Click for full size.
By Stephen Bell, May 18, 2011
2. Plaquemines Parish Marker
Taken facing roughly north from the east Point A La Hache ferry ramp.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Stephen Bell of Biloxi, Mississippi. This page has been viewed 563 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Stephen Bell of Biloxi, Mississippi. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement