Whitehorse, Yukon Territory — The Canadian Territories
This immense slab of native copper weighs 2590 pounds or 1175 kilograms. In 1905, prospectors found the copper on the upper White River, 250 miles northwest of Whitehorse. This is the Yukon’s largest copper nugget, possibly a Canadian record.
Six men ventured into the wilderness in April 1958 to fetch the trophy nugget. Using a Canadian Army caterpillar, the slab was hoisted 400 feet to the riverbank. Guided by dog teams, the group hauled their copper cargo through wilderness, around two canyons, across a river and over a blazed trail to the highway. The operation took five days.
The nugget is dedicated to the pioneer prospectors of the White Rive country: Frank R. Miles, Harry Townsend, Frank Slaggard, Clem Eminger, Bill Blair, and others who staked claims on the White River between 1900 and 1958.
Erected by Mac Bride Museum.
Location. 60° 43.299′ N, 135° 3.104′ W. Marker is in Whitehorse, Yukon Territory. Marker is on 1 Avenue near Steele Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1124 1 Avenue, Whitehorse, Yukon Territory YT Y1A 1A4, Canada.
Other nearby markers. At least 4 other markers are within 3 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. White Pass and Yukon Route Railway Log Church & Rectory (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); SS Klondike (approx. 0.9 kilometers away); Alaska Highway (approx. 1.9 kilometers away).
Categories. • Exploration • Natural Resources •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 794 times since then and 80 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.