“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Anderson in Anderson County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)

Sullivan Hardware Co. -- 1875

Sullivan Hardware Co. -- 1875 Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Scott, May 2, 2011
1. Sullivan Hardware Co. -- 1875 Marker
This building was erected in 1891 and has been the home of Sullivan Hardware Company since 1903. In earlier years it was occupied by the Alliance Store operated by Rufus Hill. The Sullivan Firm was founded as a general merchandise store by J.M. Sullivan and C.S. Mattison in 1875. Originally it was located in the Centennial House (Old Christopher Orr Hotel Building) on E. Benson Street. When a Sullivan brother, H.K. Sullivan, bought Mr. Mattison's interest the name was changed from Sullivan & Mattison to Sullivan and Brother in 1882. After N.B. Sullivan joined the firm the name was changed to Sullivan Hardware Company in 1885. In 1901 the firm purchased the stock of Brock Hardware Company and soon became one of the largest hardware companies in the state.
1776 ABC - ARBA 1976

Erected 1976.
Location. 34° 30.15′ N, 82° 39′ W. Marker is in Anderson, South Carolina, in Anderson County. Marker is on South Main Street (State Highway 28) south of West Benson Street, on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 208 South Main Street, Anderson SC 29624, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Bank of Anderson Building - ca. 1891 (within shouting
Sullivan Hardware Co. image. Click for full size.
By Brian Scott, May 2, 2011
2. Sullivan Hardware Co.
distance of this marker); The Four Way Test (within shouting distance of this marker); Anderson County Law Enforcement Officers Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Anderson County Court House -- 1898 (within shouting distance of this marker); Anderson County Confederate Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); In Commemoration of Black Pioneers (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); William Church Whitner (about 300 feet away); Anderson: "The Electric City" (about 300 feet away); Masonic Temple -- 1889 (about 300 feet away); Fant's Book Store -- 1851 (about 500 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Anderson.
More about this marker. The building is currently the home of Sullivan's Metropolitan Grill and eCity Java.
Also see . . .  Anderson Historic District. The Anderson Downtown Historic District is primarily significant as a well-preserved late nineteenth/early
Sullivan Hardware Co. image. Click for full size.
By Brian Scott, May 2, 2011
3. Sullivan Hardware Co.
twentieth century commercial area. (Submitted on May 27, 2011, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.) 
Additional comments.
1. Sullivan Hardware Company
The Sullivan Hardware Company moved in 1904 to the building known as Hill Block, which housed the Alliance Store, a general merchandise store. This building was established c. 1881, and you can still see the "H" along the front panel of the building just above the awnings. The name "Hill" on top of the building was changed to "Sullivan," along with additional renovations, when the Sullivans purchased it. The building is now occupied by several businesses, including Sullivan's Metropolitan Grill.
    — Submitted May 28, 2011, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.

2. William W. Sullivan, 3rd President of Sullivan Hardware Co.
A business institution that distributes goods over the State of South Carolina and a part of Georgia, and which has been built up by the energies and enterprise largely of one family, is the Sullivan Hardware Company, of Anderson, South Carolina, wholesale and retail dealers in hardware, mill supplies and agricultural implements. This is in every way the largest
Sullivan Hardware Co. image. Click for full size.
By Brian Scott, May 2, 2011
4. Sullivan Hardware Co.
establishment of its kind in the state.

The business was established in 1884 by J.M. and H.K. Sullivan, they operating at that time under the name of Sullivan Brothers. N.B. Sullivan and C.S. Sullivan later became identified as partners with the concern. W.W. Sullivan purchased the interest of his brother, J.M. Sullivan, upon the retirement of J.M. Sullivan from active business.

The present company was incorporated in 1907, and while the Sullivan family owns the controlling interest, a part of the stock is owned by a few faithful employes. N.B. Sullivan was the first president of the company, C.S. Sullivan succeeded as president upon the death of N.B. Sullivan in 1914, and upon the death of C.S. Sullivan in 1916, W.W. Sullivan became president.

William W. Sullivan was born in Anderson, South Carolina, on February 18, 1875, a son of Capt. Nimrod K. and Emily K. (Mattison) Sullivan, his parents being natives of South Carolina. His father earned distinction and was a captain in the Confederate army. The son was reared and educated in Anderson at the Patrick Military Institute of that place, later attending the Alabama Polytechnic Institute at Auburn, Alabama. Returning from Auburn he found his business opportunities in work with the Sullivan Hardware Company, and his abilities are reflected in the fact that during the past five years the company has made some of its most important advances and progress.

Mr. Sullivan is also president of the Sullivan Markley Hardware Company, Greenville, South Carolina, and is head of the partnership of the Sullivan Hardware Company at Belton, South Carolina. He is director of two of the largest banks of Anderson and a director of one of the banks of Greenville. He has always taken an active interest in the civic affairs of Anderson.

In June, 1897. Mr. Sullivan married Miss Annie A. Patrick, a daughter of the late John B. Patrick, a prominent Southern educator and founder of the Patrick Military Institute at Anderson, an institution in which many of the prominent men of the state acquired their education.

The modern home of Mr. and Mrs. Sullivan now stands on the grounds formerly occupied by the old Patrick Military Institute. Mr. and Mrs. Sullivan have eight children. (Source: History of South Carolina, Volume 3 by Yates Snowden (1920), pp 111-112.)
    — Submitted May 27, 2011, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.

Categories. Industry & Commerce
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,223 times since then and 168 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement