Anderson in Anderson County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Building History / Major Frank R Thompson (1903-1977)
Built in the 1930s by Frank R. Thompson, this building was the main street depot for the Anderson Petroleum Company and Dixie Distributors, Inc., both successful petroleum distributors in Anderson, Oconee, Pickens, Greenwood, Abbeville, and McCormick counties. Thompson's companies imported petroleum products from the adjacent P&N rail depot. This building's distinctive "stone and red mortar" facade was the architectural signature of Thompson's Dixie Petroleum Stations.
Major Frank R. Thompson (1903-1977)
Frank R. Thompson's lifelong career in the oil business began in 1915, in the office of Standard Oil of New Jersey, in his hometown of Concord, N.C. He moved his family to Anderson in the 1920s, when he became Standard Oil's North-Western South Carolina Sales Manager. His wife, Mary Francis Swittenberg, was a native Andersonian. In 1930, Thompson resigned from Standard Oil and formed the Anderson Petroleum Company to distribute Shell Petroleum products. In 1937, Thompson severed his connection with Shell and assumed presidency of Dixie Distributors, Inc. -- a position he held until his retirement in 1975. An active business, political and military leader, with a love for all sports, Thompson was described as a "quiet philanthropist...who never turned down a charitable
In 1945, Thompson also received the Bronze Star Medal for services in Africa and Europe and achieved the rank of Major in the United States Corps of Engineers. Thompson's close friends included President Lyndon B. Johnson, Sen. Strom Thurmond, Gen. Douglas MacArthur, Gen. George Patton and boxer Jack Dempsey.
Location. 34° 30.383′ N, 82° 39.067′ W. Marker is in Anderson, South Carolina, in Anderson County. Marker can be reached from North Main Street (State Highway 28). Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 409 North Main Street, Anderson SC 29625, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Anderson County Farmers Market Pavilion (here, next to this marker); Anderson County Library (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); Blue Ridge Railroad Passenger Station -- c. 1913 (approx. 0.2 miles away); Fant's Book Store -- 1851 Anderson: "The Electric City" (approx. 0.2 miles away); William Church Whitner (approx. 0.2 miles away); Anderson County Court House -- 1898 (approx. 0.2 miles away); Anderson County Confederate Monument (approx. 0.2 miles away); Portman Shoals (approx. ¼ mile away); Portman Dam and Power Plant (approx. ¼ mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Anderson.
Also see . . .
1. Standard Oil. Standard Oil was a predominant American integrated oil producing, transporting, refining, and marketing company. (Submitted on May 28, 2011, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
2. Standard Oil of New Jersey (ESSO). Esso is an international trade name for ExxonMobil and its related companies. (Submitted on May 28, 2011, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 633 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. submitted on , by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.