Hutto in Williamson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Erected 1976 by the Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 9106.)
Location. 30° 32.612′ N, 97° 32.829′ W. Marker is in Hutto, Texas, in Williamson County. Marker is on East Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Hutto TX 78634, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Hutto Evangelical Lutheran Church (approx. ¼ mile away); Hutto United Methodist Church (approx. 0.8 miles away but has been reported missing); Hutto Lutheran Cemetery (approx. 1.4 miles away); Hutto Cemetery (approx. 1.6 miles away); Hutto Baptist Church (approx. 2 miles away); Shiloh-McCutcheon Cemetery (approx. 2.9 miles away); Klattenhoff House (approx. 3.1 miles away); Monodale Community (approx. 3.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Hutto.
Regarding Hutto. Hutto is somewhat famous for the high school mascot, the Hippo. There are hippos (not real of course) all over the place in Hutto – in peoples back yards and in front of businesses. The father of this page's original contributor graduated from Hutto High School in 1956, with 14 students in the graduating class.
The Hutto School adopted the hippopotamus as its mascot as early as 1923, when it first appeared on the Hutto High School official graduation announcements. Hutto is the only school district and the only community in the United States to have the hippo as its primary identifier.
Also see . . .
1. Wikipedia: Hutto. (Submitted on December 17, 2007, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas.)
2. Williamson County Historical Museum: Hutto. (Submitted on December 17, 2007, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas.)
3. Handbook of Texas Online: Hutto. (Submitted on December 17, 2007, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas.)
4. City of Hutto Official Website. A directory of information about the City of Hutto municipal Government. Located on US 79 between Round Rock and Taylor, Hutto is only twenty-five miles from the State Capitol. (Submitted on December 19, 2007, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.)
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 733 times since then and 44 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on , by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. 2. submitted on , by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.